Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HandyHeart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 12:04 AM
    Lighter Went Down Tub Drain
    Hi,

I dropped a lighter into the tub as the water was draning (ruining a great bubblebath.) Is this going to be a big problem? How do I get it out? Do I have to woory about it bursting or sewer gas? What about when somenoe tries to get it out with a snake or using Draino? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Handy Heart
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 01:30 AM
    Just to ask a first question for you here, do you know if the lighter is clogging up the drain? Knowing that would help others to answer your question the best.
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Feb 15, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Get to the trap under the tub and take it apart to collect your lighter. Then put the trap back together and tighten snugly with Channel Lock Pliers.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Yep, I would suggest disassembling the trap under the tub. And no I don't think you are going to have to worry about sewer gas, (who is going to light the lighter)??
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Here's one to try. I assume it's a disposalable Bic or something like that. Get a magnetic pick up tool from auto parts store and stick down drain and fish around. I know its plastic but it has some metal parts. If the lighter is turned right you just might grab it. I tried my pick up tool and it holds quite well but I have one that has a stronger than usual pull.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2008, 07:16 AM
    I don't think the lighter ever made it down to the trap if it's normal size Take a good look at a tub drain and shoe. It goes from the drain directly into a tee that's not large enough to let a lighter make a turn that would allow it to drop down in the trap. My bet is that it's still in the tub shoe. And how did it get sucked down the drain any how? What happened to the strainer? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Tub drain in concert is too low for new spa tub [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings everyone, I am installing a whirlpool tub and it appears that the drain is about 1/2 inch too low. The drain is set in concrete. Is there any type of extension that can be put on the drain? Any suggestions? Thanks, Ed

Slow Tub Drain; Draining Sink Overflows Tub [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I'm looking for advice about some bathroom plumbing issues. We live on the ground floor of a condo building that has a cement slab. The tub in our bathroom has an extremely slow drain (ankles submerged during a shower). We've tried to snake the tub drain both through the drain and by...

Tub drain is an inch offset from old tub [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new tub and the drain opening is an inch closer to the rear wall than the old tub. My problem is the PVC piping for the drain is also an inch off whereby the overflow/drain vertical pipe doesn't quite match up with the drain pipe. I bought an overflow/drain connection kit from Home...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

View more questions Search