Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Hard drive crashed - crap!
    Ho hum... my hard drive crashed and I am not sure how to fix it.

I noticed one day that my spare data drive "E" did not show up in explorer. I reboot computer, its still not there. Then next day computer is emitting loud buzzing sound, like the fan bearings are broke or something. I boot off computer..

Computer fails to restart!

I open case and (thinking that it's a bad drive) start removing the cable and power from each of my drives. I hope it is not my C drive that is gone bad cause it has my operating system on it.

By trial & error, I discover that ONLY my "E" drive is gone and computer runs perfectly fine if I do not install power & ribbon cable to E drive.

But if I install E drive power & ribbon, the computer beeps on power-up, and makes a loud continuous buzzing sound (guess its coming from the drive & not the CPU fan... ) the monitor does NOT start up and the computer does NOT boot up. So I unplug this bad drive and everything starts up fine.

Now, I have software for data-recovery, but I think it depends on the fact that I can start my computer normally WITH the bad drive installed. That does not seem to be my case.

What can I do?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 10:39 PM
    If everything was working fine and then this happened it would indicate a bad drive
    When you hook the cable back to drive, make sure the red or blue side of the cable faces towards the power input cable
    Was there a power surge of any sort,
    Try switching the cables around, the c drive cable to e and the e cable to c and see if it starts
    If same situation, the drive is more than likely bad
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
    I disconnected a known working datadrive and used THAT cable and power to connect the bad drive. Then turned PC on.

At least it booted up properly this time..

But the entier time the drive was all "buzz.. buzz.. buzz.. buzz. . buzz.." then delay, then "buzz .. buzz.. buzz.. buzz.. buzz".. and repeat until 10 times.. then the drive must do some sort of power cycle. Then buzz pattern again.

That went on for several minutes and then the drive made no sound at all.

Unfortunately it must have just powered OFF on its own or something because windows explorer can not find the drive. Also I right clicked on 'my computer' and selected manage, and still could not find the drive.

So, I have no idea how I can use software to recover the data. I think it's gone for good. What do you think?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Depending on how much you want to do with this drive, regarding size or data that is on it
    You can get a sotware that can possibly help repair a partition
    Here is just 1 link for some SW as an example, if you Google repair hardrive or repair partition, a lot of pages will come up

Recover Lost or Deleted Partitions. Repair Partition Table and fix partition Boot Sector error - EASEUS Partition Table Doctor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard Drive Crashed? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you know if your hard drive crashed? What does it do or not do? Why do I get "No Signal" on my monitor in French or Spanish? (Monitor works with another computer) Why will my power button work to turn on the computer, but won't turn it off? Many questions... no answers!

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

View more questions Search