Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Feb 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Is this song really aproperiate at church?
    I heard this at a church but since when are beatles singign about religion? IS this song seriously aproperiate? o.O

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

Written by John Lennon
    Song: Imagine
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Feb 14, 2008, 02:48 PM
    It's not the Beatles. That was written by John Lennon during his solo career. Yeah, that's an odd tune to play at church.

Feb 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Oh, well yeah I met Lennon but I have a bad habbit of calling one member of the band The Beatles haha.

It is...
    I think some people got offended?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 03:15 PM
    I would say they would get offended.

Feb 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
    It's a great song but keep it out of church.

Oh! I am a little outraged..

There is a song about Christians murdering Indians!
    You know back with the Spanish Conquestidors?

The song offended me so much... I can't give the link because I might be nanned only because the sogn has a few curses.

So if you are curious

Go on Youtube and search

Christians Murdered Indians

Tell me how it made you feel?
    I think its wrong the song was even written, you can't base an opinion on christians frm what happened thousands of years ago.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
    I went to YouTube and viewed that video. Did not finish it. I got the point! Maybe all the desendants of the European conquerors and settlers should get on the boat back to Europe. Give it all back. It would not change a thing. I cannot be held responsible for what people did hundreds of years ago.

What is upsetting is that conqueroring for the sake of greed, disguised as christianity. Anyone who does understand Christ knows that Christ never would have sanctioned those actions.
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Feb 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Ummm... John Lennon was a spiritual person but didn't believe in God. The song you are speaking of is called "Imagine". I copied this from one of his websites.

John Lennon (1940-1980) was the composer of what has become an anthem for atheists around the world, "Imagine."  Lennon rejected religion and dogma, but he was not really an atheist - he espoused a sort of vague spirituality.

So no, I wouldn't sing this in church.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
    The song is definitely not appropriate. It's pretty New Age, the lyrics implying that peace on earth is not attainable unless you give up:
    • religion (no right and wrong)
    • geographic boundaries (no answering to governments)
    • ownership (no belongings)

It's a pretty brutal song when you analyze it, not something people with any sense of accountability should be singing.

On the other hand, it is a catchy tune. Use some words of your own.

Feb 14, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    I went to YouTube and viewed that video. Did not finish it. I got the point! Maybe all the desendants of the European conquerors and settlers should get on the boat back to Europe. Give it all back. It would not change a thing. I cannot be held responsible for what people did hundreds of years ago.

What is upsetting is that conqueroring for the sake of greed, disguised as christianity. Anyone who does understand Christ knows that Christ never would have sanctioned those actions.
    I here you man. I was disgusted when I found out the truth about Christopher columbus.
    But that sogn was soooo out of line.
    Everyone is entilted ot there own opinion though.

Margarita:
    Exactly! Why this women got up and started sining imagine had be baffled xD Like WHOA

Well, JB
    It was a while ago when she sang it nut it hit me now.

Haha I never thought of it that wa, when you analyze it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    It's a pretty brutal song when you analyze it, not something people with any sense of accountability should be singing.
    Got to disagree with you there. People don't really need a god to have a sense of right and wrong. Jus' saying.

I do agree that the song does not belong in a church but it's not "brutal".

Feb 14, 2008, 03:43 PM
    True True.

Religion, is such a touchy subject.. Never knew how much it can really impact someone, you know?
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Feb 14, 2008, 03:50 PM
    I agree with NeedKarma. John Lennon was really big on world peace and happiness. He did grow up in the 60's! The song is about achieving that by getting rid of all the things that cause conflict between people. Religion and Government being two of these things. Its not brutal in any way.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Yup, he was a good man. Which why it's ironic the way he died, he would never have harmed a fly.

Feb 14, 2008, 03:53 PM
    :'(

I don't know if its okay to get off topic but John Lennon was a good man
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Would not do it in any of my churches, at times songs that are not christian are used in churches at weddings and other special events.
    But then there are many churches where all sorts of things are done.
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Feb 14, 2008, 09:56 PM
    No, not at all appropriate.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Who ever played that song in church apparently had a reason. Doesn't mean that they were acurate in their belief about the song...

Perhaps they heard only a portion of it... Whatever... If there intention was to make a joyful noise unto the lord... then it sure as he11 was appropriate.

Not everyone interprets things the same way... I know people that are offended by Amazing Grace!

If it bothered you, say a prayer or a few hail mary's for yourself... that you'll be blessed with the ability not to judge the action of others.
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
    I think it would be great for church. But, I'm an atheist and absolutely love the message in that song. Its actually in my mp3 player right now. If I were a Christian or Catholic Etc... Probably wouldn't be a good message. ( Imagine no Religion)
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Dare I bring up the number of wars and killings based on one religion against another? Atrocities done in the name of religion... enough said.

Some folks don't like it when a bible get's banned, and sure do argue about freedom of religious expression... as long as it meets their idea of acceptable.

If what that song was about, existed on earth, wouldn't that be like heaven without the need for the current fighting between groups?? There would not be this religion or that religion... with opposing views... It does not say there would be nothing spiritual.
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    Dare I bring up the number of wars and killings based on one religion against another? Attrocities done in the name of religion.... enough said.

Some folks don't like it when a bible get's banned, and sure do argue about freedom of religious expression... as long as it meets their idea of acceptable.

If what that song was about, existed on earth, wouldn't that be like heaven without the need for the current fighting between groups??? There would not be this religion or that religion... with opposing views.... It does not say there would be nothing spiritual.
    ----------------------------------------------
    I agree with much of what you are saying. But if I were a member of an atheist group, and we had a hall that we met at for learning and discussion and someone started playing " Cuom-bi-ahh my Lord--- Cuom-bi-ahh"... I would be a little curious as to why they thought it was appropriate. Remember that it's their house, the people there are not there to debate or as the song says "imagine a world without religion."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to go to church? [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get my children baptised does this mean I need to go to church every week?

Praying in church [ 28 Answers ]

Who do you pray to in church? Mary, God, Jesus?? I am a cradle catholic and have just become extremely interested in what I have been doing all my life. I know that Jesus is the son of God. Do you pray to Jesus, who took his life for us? Do you pray to Mary for she is the one that gave birth...

This woman at church [ 9 Answers ]

I met someone at church, at first she was nice but now she is trying to rule me, for instance if she ask me to do something and I decline, she call me boring or old fashion, she is trying to convince me that I should have more kids where as she only have 1 child, she doesn't like it if I don't want...

View more questions Search