Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgehner Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Replacing thermostat in '01 Pontiac Aztek
    It's NOT fun to drive with nearly no heat, so the time has come for me to break down and replace the thermostat in my 2001 Pontiac Aztek.

Does anyone have an idea how to accomplish this feat? Considering the cooling system is not scheduled for maintenance until 100K miles (I'm getting close) and uses special coolant, I'm not sure how difficult this will be, however I'm not willing to pay upwards of $400 to have it replaced at the shop.

NOTHING is easy to do with this vehicle. Try replacing the battery! :eek:

Any assistance would be appreciated!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 05:20 PM
    First, are you certain your problem with lack of heat is in fact the thermostat?
    Cooling system service is up to 100K. Read the fine print in the sales hype!

That is why I ask. What does the temp gauge tell you? System full? Hoses getting hot? Radiator and heater hoses...

Name:  1a.gif
Views: 12267
Size:  6.3 KB

Replacement is as follows:
    1. Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly.
    2. Drain the coolant until the coolant level is below the thermostat.
    3. Remove the crossover exhaust pipe. Use caution: these bolts can be a bear!
    4. Remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
    5. Remove the thermostat housing bolts and clean any sealer from the bolt threads.
    6. Remove the thermostat housing, the thermostat and gasket
    8. Clean all mating surfaces.
    Reinstall in the reverse order, but put sealant onto bolt threads. RTV or "liquid" tape and let it set slightly prior to installing the bolts.
    Refill system with a clean 50/50 mixture and let the engine run to purge trapped air with the bleeder port screw (on the housing in the picture).
    After the cooling system has cooled again, double check the coolant level.
    lgehner Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Thank you VERY much, especially for the diagram.

Yes, we're sure it's the thermostat. The system was checked at my last tune-up and all was well. A mechanic friend since checked everything and advised she was 99.99% sure the thermostat needs replacing. Unfortunately, she is now in Iraq, so I do not have her assistance!
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Call around for prices to do the work. If you are handy with a wrench and don't mind wasting half a day go for it. But, the reason is costs $400 at the dealerships inflated hourly cost is because it is a bit of a pain to do. When my Aztek was due for its 100,000 mile spark plug change I called around and the average cost for the work was $250. I decided to do it myself. Wished I hadn't. I know this doesn't answer your how to but I thought it worth saying.
    mysupercrew4x4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 10:38 AM
    lgehner, did you ever replace the thermostat? I have my 2001 aztek sort of apart and noticed I have to take the carborator off before I take the exhaust shield off due to the one screw on the shield way in the back.
    Still have to take the hose assembly off that blocks the top bolt on the thermostat!
    I can't find any more bolts on the carborator and it won't budge.

Let me know what I am missing
    CHEVYMAN33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
    I hate to tell everyone that has one this... sell it!an no I'm not trying to be funny Im serious this car is about the worst one I've every had to work on an I've worked on a lot. My causing has one an I've had to replace the wheel bearings,water pump,hoses all in the last month now trying to change the thermostat an believe me its not easy you have to take apart a lot of parts to get them out of the way to even get to it.
    stevevue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
    I had replace many thermostat but the aztek is pain.. This time I will have to do it myself. Shop is asking $300 for it, Spark is done by myself, I have save a lot $$ doing my own spark plug, shop is also asking over $200, I paid $20 for the wire and $25 for spark plug, a thermosat is only $17.99 + life time warranty..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Lennox Thermostat with Honeywell Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Lennox T90H110A137 Thermostat with the following terminal letters and wire colors: G - blue wire F - red wire C - green wire H - yellow wire V - white wire I want to install a Honeywell RTH6300B Thermostat. According to the RTH6300B Installation guide, it tells me to ignore wire...

Replacing an old thermostat [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to replace an old honeywell mercury thermostat with a new rht8500 honeywell thermostat. I only have heating at home with 2 wires (Black and White) coming from the furnace to the old thermostat. There are no labelling what-so-ever on the old thermostat. Can anybody help...

Replacing Analog Thermostat with Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing Analog thermostat with White, Yellow, Red, & Black wiring with non-programmable digital thermostat Model #RTH3100C. Please help!!

Replacing Janitrol Thermostat with Honeywell Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace my manual Janitrol Model HPT 18-60 thermostat with a Honeywell Programmable Model CT3500 thermostat. My Heat Pump is a Trane TWR012-042C The 6 wires connected to the Janitrol thermostate are: Y, W2, G, R, O, C How do I connect these six wires to the Honeywell that...

Aztek Fuel Gauge [ 1 Answers ]

Have an '01 Aztek- the fuel gauge is very sporadic- if you put gas in it goes all the way to full, then about 2 gallons before you run out, it drops to empty. Once a month, it actually shows correct amount for about 10 minutes. Any idea how to correct this?:confused:

View more questions Search