Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nimel76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Second order differential equations
    The following differential equation , m (d^2 y)/(dt^2 )+6.1dy/dt+90.2y=1.3cos⁡(3.4t) represents the motion of a spring.

When a 10kg mass is attached to the spring and released from a starting point 0.1m from the original point .the plotted results of displacement over time give an expected result, of a sin wave decaying from the transient to the steady state.

However when a mass attached anomalies start to occur in the sin wave which were unexpected. Are these caused by the steady-state wave trying to move in phase with transient wave causing each other to cancel out or super impose? Or is there another reason for the anomalies?

Please find attached a graphical representation of the two oscillation's the red line represents the 10kg mass and the blue line represents the 15kg mass.
    Attached Images

interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 14, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Wow I'm an EE major and I'm not looking forward to that class

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewrite equations as balanced chemical equations [ 8 Answers ]

Magnesium chloride yield sulfur dioxide Calcium carbonate yields calcium oxide plus carbon dioxide Nitrogen plus hygrogen yield ammonia Hydrochloric acid plus sodium hydroxide yield sodium chloride plus water

Deriving chemical equations from balanced net ionic equations? [ 1 Answers ]

1.) NaCl (aq) + MnO2 (s) -------->Mn2+ (aq) + Cl2 (g) in H2SO4 2.) KCN (aq) + KMno4 (aq) --------> CNO- (aq) + MnO2(s) in KOH

Calculus differential equations [ 1 Answers ]

Solve the following differential equations: a) dy/dx=24x(3x^2+9)^2 b) dy/dx=2sin(3x+infinity) infinity is a constant I have done question (a) and got 216x^5+1296x^3+1944x as the answer. I don't know if this is correct. I have no clue how to do (b).

Differential Setting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maple/Chase Thermostat unit. The instruction manual was not left with the house when I purchased it. I want to know what differential means as the last instruction indicates in the set time/day/differential section. What does "set the temperature differential" mean? It was at 2...

Optimization (Differential?) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on an assignment for University and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. The question states that a company charges 200$ for each order of 150 or fewer shares. The cost to the buyer on every share is reduced by 1$ for each order in excess of 150. For what size order is the...

View more questions Search