Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagertolearn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Replacement Faucets for 1950's Tub and Shower Stall
    I'm so glad to find this site! Here goes... I have a ranch house built in 1950 with two baths. Both are about to have the faucets replaced. The main bath has a tub/shower and will need a three handle tub/shower faucet. The plumber said that with an 11 inch spread he can only find a faucet from Central Brass. And he was pretty adamant that I have to have a faucet that's all brass, no plastic parts. True? It'll work but it looks like it was designed in the 1950's. It's pretty ugly but I'll deal with it if I have to. Do I have to? I'm pretty sure it's Central Brass Model 0971-Z. And is it possible to modify the 8 inch spread models with more a modern faucet to my current plumbing situation. I have fixed set tile and am not in a position to retile the entire bath, nor do I have any old tile to make repairs. Also, about 6 years ago, a plumber I knew replaced the faucets (they we very inexpensive and are falling apart) and he made some modifications with the plumbing, probably the valve, to get the new faucets to work. So it seems like I would have other options. I live in Richmond, VA and we have loads of old houses here. Thanks for any advice you can offer! Vicki
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2008, 07:02 AM
    The plumber said that with an 11 inch spread he can only find a faucet from Central Brass. And he was pretty adamant that I have to have a faucet that's all brass, no plastic parts. True?
    Nope! False! Your plumber was mistaken. Moen makes a 13" wide chrome remodel cover plate,(see image) that addresses this problem. This plate will cover the existing holes and allow you to install a one handle valve. Check out what Moen has to offer. Good luck, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Why not rebuild the existing faucets. Why not take out the stems and a seat and go take to a plumbing supply and see if you can find seats, surely the washers will be available.
    Handles, escutcheons and stem covers are the parts you are most likely to have difficulty finding. With new washers and seats and greasing the stems you have replaced all of working parts.
    eagertolearn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Thanks Harold. But the reason I'm replacing the faucets in this bath is because the handles, escutcheons, and stem covers are cheap and falling apart. The plumbing works fine. I was wondering if there are options other than this Central Brass three handle unit out there somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Replacement with a Shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, we have an old house that had a clawfoot tub that drained into the wall about 6 inches above the floor. We now want to replace it with a shower. How do we get the drain problem figured out? We are on a slab foundation. Please any info will help!!

Shower Stall Replacement - Drain alignment [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for advice on replacing a shower stall. I pulled the old unit and purchased a new unit with the same dimensions (36x36x72). The drain pipe comes up through the foundation and has a built in square off-set around it. The pipe sticks out of the concrete in the recessed box about 4 inches....

From tub to shower stall [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I will be remodeling my bathroom soon and will be converting from a tub to a shower stall. It is ground level on a cement slab. My question is should I have to move the drain at all or can I pour and form a drain pan with the drain in it's current "tub standard" position/distance from wall?

Shower stall replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one piece fiberglass shower stall that I want to remove and replace. The drain pipe is PVC with a metal flange and some lead, how do I remove it?

Tub/Shower Stall Installation [ 2 Answers ]

For new construction, should the plumbing for spigut, faucet handle, and shower head be installed before placing the tub/shower stall in place or after? Or doesn't it matter? Thanks

View more questions Search