Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Distantlove Posts: 122, Reputation: 13

Feb 14, 2008, 04:07 AM
    He doesn't listen to my problems
    I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half, and I love him, he's great. He treats me how any good boyfriend would, he likes to take me out and he's very affectionate towards me and shows that he loves me. All my friends and family can see he's a nice guy.

Like every relationship we have our ups and downs, however, the problem is, he doesn't listen to my feelings. When he's upset, I put every effort into trying to make him feel better and to solve his problems and to help him get through them.
    The thing is, I would love for him to do that for me too. I find that when I'm upset about him or something he's done, he doesn't want to listen and says he doesn't feel like talking about it. Sometimes I'm desperate for him to help me feel better and to talk to/help me get over whatever I'm upset about - like I do for him. I even told him that he's not completely there for me when I'm feeling down about our relationship, and he just said that he does really love and care for me, but he doesn't know why he doesn't want to listen to my problems, he said he feels like a bad person by not listening to me - so why doesn't he!

Please help:(
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Feb 14, 2008, 05:44 AM
    He may feel uncomfortable when you confront him about issues. The only way you will get through this is by communicating to him that he needs to listen. Even if you start small by him holding you as you talk about it without him saying a word, then slowly but surely asking him how he feels about what you've said.. then eventually you will both get better at communicating.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Relationships are a two way street, and if he cannot reciprocate your feelings, then discuss it when there is no emotional turmoil going on. Timing is the key, as to when to approach him. Communication is built over time, and your still new at it, so pick your spots to express yourself. Your communication skills may be better than his, so consider how to bring this up, as opposed to the why you need to talk about it. Good Luck.
    Distantlove Posts: 122, Reputation: 13

Feb 14, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Relationships are a two way street, and if he cannot reciprocate your feelings, then discuss it when there is no emotional turmoil going on. Timing is the key, as to when to approach him. Communication is built over time, and your still new at it, so pick your spots to express yourself. Your communication skills may be better than his, so consider how to bring this up, as opposed to the why you need to talk about it. Good Luck.

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it :) I'll try mentioning it when there's no turmoil. But what if he still doesn't feel like talking about it, how would I get through to him? What if he thinks I'm just getting at him? Or if there's no improvement, what should I consider?

Thanks.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 03:09 PM
    The way you present it is key, and if he is unresponsive you back off. WAY OFF, so far off he sees you, but wonders why you are saying nothing. You ignore his needs as he ignores yours, and when he asks, you explain very nicely your needs, without blame. Sometimes the best way to get attention, is not to give it. Sounds cruel, but no communications no relationship. If he is not willing to work with you, you may have to suggest marriage counseling, or go yourself to get guidance, with solving your problem with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doesn't find me attractive, doesn't want sex with me, isn't sure he wants a relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Please read this, I need your help I'm 18 and so is my boyfriend I've been with him for 10 months and for about 5 months he's telling me he's not ready to commit and isn't sure he wants a relationship.and at points he's said he wants to feel he can do stuff with other women should the situation...

Son who doesn't want to listen [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know what is wrong with my son. He is always angry wit me and I don't know why. He is 20 years of age and has been like this for years. He is also like that with his father also. Its more than just a teenage thing. He is very popular with his friends but treats his parents like dirt and...

I know I shouldn't listen but? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, my name is Brittney and I have been with my boyfriend for about a year now. I love him I am sure of it, but a lot of people tell me that it is only 'puppy love' and then when I go off to University our relationship is going to fall apart. I am 18 and my boyfriend is 17, he is in...

What music do you listen too [ 22 Answers ]

I was just curious on what type of music everyone here prefers? My ears listens to rnb, hip hop almost all day. I do listen to trance and house once and awhile

Do I just listen. [ 13 Answers ]

What do you say to a marriedman who you have been seeing and now havewalked away from when his wife still accuseing him of still being unfaith (she had her guesses ) he knows you have walked away but still wants to talk to you about it saying may he is prolonging it. I just have listened and...

View more questions Search