Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digitalbliss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 12:33 AM
    Stimulus Clarification
    I just need some clarification as to the stimulus plan, so here are my details -

I was laid off last year(2007).
    My wife and I filed jointly for 2007.
    My Gross Adjusted Income was about $9000.
    $3000 was Earned Income(Jobs), while the rest was Unemployment.
    Totally, we paid $651 in federal taxes.
    We have one child that was claimed as a dependent on our 2007 return(Age 2).

Where I need clarification -
    I'm unsure as to whether it is a flat rate or if we'll only be eligible to get what we paid in(In this case, $651).
    I'm also somewhat curious if our federal pay-in will be separated due to the Unemployment or, as I've heard, they're going solely by the Gross Adjusted Income number.

I know we'll be given the extra $300 for the child able to be claimed in 2007, but my wife is pregnant and the child will be able to be claimed for 2008. Will that child be counted in as well, or will that be taken care of during the actual filing of the 2008 taxes(at the beginning of 2009)?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 08:44 AM
    This is from the IRS web site:
    "Most taxpayers just need to file a 2007 tax return as usual. No other action, extra form or call is necessary. This Web site will be the best information source for all updates and taxpayer questions.

In most cases, the payment will equal the amount of tax liability on the tax return, with a maximum amount of $600 for individuals ($1,200 for taxpayers who file a joint return)."
    So you will get $651 plus $300 for child.

Child must be born on or before Dec 31, 2007 to be dependent on 2007 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stimulus plan [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Will non-resident aliens get the rebate check proposed by the stimulus plan? Best, ~I

Economic Stimulus Checks [ 2 Answers ]

I don't work, my husband does. I have defaulted student loans that my husband has absolutely no responsibility for. We file a "injured Spouse" form with our taxes so that we get the full refund. My question is, with this extra refund that will be going out this year, how will this work? As I...

Stimulus plan? [ 20 Answers ]

Personally, though I could use the extra cash I'm not excited about stimulating the economy by putting the government further in debt. I mean seriously, if the government wants to stimulate my spending they can just stop stealing so much of my money and for instance, trying to give it to idiots...

Clinton's economic stimulus plan? [ 9 Answers ]

From the potential "first laddie," husband of the candidate who said "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good," we get a proposed economic 'stimulus' plan: OK, OK, in context: Huh? Best I can tell Hillary wants to take things away from us so we can have...

If/When the stimulus plan passes. [ 8 Answers ]

Will you save your rebate or spend it, if you spend it, what do you plan to spend it on?

View more questions Search