Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madtoolmkr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 09:05 PM
    '84 chevy pickup will not start
    When driving, my gauge read 18 volts. I pulled over and turned the truck off to check it out. I decided to try to make it home, and when I put the key in I got nothing. My lights and horn still work but everything that needs the ignition to be on does not. I've checked the fuses, fusable links, and replaced the ignition switch. Dooes anyone know what the problem is?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Sounds to me like an over-charge situation.
    Too much getting past the voltage regulator may have damaged the ignition module. The lights and horns aren't as susceptible, so a better test would be to check for spark at the plugs.

And then, get the charging system diagnosed.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by madtoolmkr
    How do I check for spark if the engine won't turn over?
    It may already be curtains for the battery. Batteries don't like being force-fed.
    Have the battery properly tested. If it tests as good, you'll need to check for correct battery voltage to and through the ignition system: ignition switch to starter, etc.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 05:49 AM
    The capn has you on the right track.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1979 chevy pickup won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I have 1979 chevy pickup that just won't start I replaced the clutch drove it a couple of days and I just won't start I have plenty of spark and gas getting to the plugs I have replaced everything in the distrubetor I just can't figure it out please help Thank you:confused:

97 Chevy Pickup 1500 with 5.7 L engine - won't start - changed starter 3x, What Next? [ 2 Answers ]

This 97 Chevy truck- 1500 4x4 with 5.7L Vortec, was running fine after installing a new starter, then after driving it only about 7 miles, I brought it in the garage, tried to start it again to move it forward - just kept getting the same clicking I got before I replaced the starter. Returned...

1979 chevy pickup will not start [ 5 Answers ]

My 1979 chevy pickup will not start I have replaced the starter the flywheel and have put in a new battery and still nothing. Everything shows it has power but I turn the ignition and it acts like the battery is dead and sometimes it has no fire at all I don't know what could be the problem please...

Chevy pickup [ 1 Answers ]

91 chevy pickup transmission not shifting! When driving it.

View more questions Search