Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saikat_das Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Job Expenses deduction for Non Resident Alien
    Hi,

I am on a 6 month assignment to US and am filing my taxes as Non resident alien for 2007wanted to know whether I can claim deductions on the rent/utilities/conveyance/food expenses I incurreed while I was in US.
    Is Form 2106 applicable to me or only for people travelling inside US on work?

Thanks
    Regards
    Saikat
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Normally, rent/utilities/conveyance/food expenses are not deductible as employee business expenses. But since your assignment is temporary, in that case you may be able to deduct it.
    Hope some one else is able to provide more information. Meanwhile you can do Google search.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard & Personal Deduction for resident alien couple? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there First of all thanks for creating this wonderful site. I have few questions for my taxes for 2006 I am resident alien (h1-b visa) (fits substantial presence test) married filing jointly. My wife is non-resident alien (f1 visa). We used 1040 to file our taxes and got following...

1040NR -> 1040: Non-resident Alien to Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard a rumor that after 5 years of being an international student filling out 1040NRs, you are supposed to start filling out a 1040 instead of a 1040NR. I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and...

Tax-Resident Alien or non-resident Alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know if I need to file my tax returns as resident alient or non resident. - I am on H1B visa (married and wife is on H4). Came to US in Aug 2006 - I was in US in 2005 (280 days) and in 2004 (240days). As per the IRS I pass the present test of 183 days in the past 3 years. -...

Moving expense deduction for new permanent resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Myself and family arrived in USA in May 2006. We are permanent resident aliens with green card holders. We travelled from a Middle east country after got the immigration on a job offer for me as registered nurse. I paid $5000 for air tickets for me and family. Our filing status is MFJ. Ticket...

H1 (Resident Alien) and H4 (NR Alien) joint tax problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have been in the US since 2003 and have filed as a NON-Resident Alien for the tax year 2005 (I was a student). My H1B started Jan 1, 2006 and I got married on Aug 28th 2006. My wife joined me on my way back on a H4 visa. I know that we can both file as a Resident Aliens. 1. Is our STD...

View more questions Search