Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bifidus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 02:36 PM
    How do I piggyback my corrupt harddisk?
    My computer died and I get a disk read error message when I try to load it up, I have heard that it is possible to link it into a working PC and try to salvage data. How do I do this? Do I need specific cables?:confused
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bifidus
    My computer died and I get a disk read error message when I try to load it up, I have heard that it is possible to link it into a working PC and try to salvage data. How do I do this? Do I need specific cables?:confused
    Couple of ways -

1) INTERNAL
    • open your computer and remove the hard drive
    • go to another PC and open it, see if there is an empty spot on the cable in there where you can attach this drive
    • If so, connect it and reboot, it may appear as D: or E:, etc.

2) EXTERNAL
    • Open your compuer and remove the hard drive
    • buy an external drive bay and drop this drive into it
    • use the external drive bay's USB connector to plug this drive into a working PC
    revs007 Posts: 8, Reputation: -2

Feb 16, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Don't Forget The Jumper Settings If It's a Seagate Ide Drive Else Mention The Hard Drive Details
    Sathyan_nair Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Try plugging the Hard drive to another computer as mentioned in the above post.
    If the Hard drive is detected on it, then you may need a "Data Recovery" Software which would recover the full data. There are some softwares available on the net but the Trial versions have limited functions.

If the Hard Disk is damaged and the drive is not detected, You may not be able to fix it at home. It can be repaired by fixing the "Head" for which you will have to seek a professional help.

Sathyan :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format harddisk win2000 [ 2 Answers ]

How to format harddisk win2000

No acces to harddisk [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought an extra 80GB harddisk. The problem is: I can't acces it.:confused: If I take a look in the BIOS, it's there, so my computer recognises it. I thought I had to update my BIOS, but I already have the latest version. I REALLY hope you can help me, because I need the...

Harddisk data recovery [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a hard drive that will not boot into windows anymore but I need some files from it, every diagnostic tool I use says the disk is OK to use, but every piece of software I have tried will only find deleted files and the files I want were never deleted I just can't can't get to them....

How to get hard disk information [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to retrieve the hard disk information such as 1) size 2) Product id 3) vendor id 4) serial number 5) firmware version 6) model number

View more questions Search