Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inspired Posts: 178, Reputation: 22

Feb 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
    1099-b to pay taxes- how do I clame?
    My broker sold stocks in order to pay taxes on them. Now I receive a 1099-b form showing the $ amount of stocks sold. The problem is that I never received any of the funds because they were used to pay taxes on the stock. How do I clame my 1099-b? Am I double paying taxes on my stocks?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 12:52 PM
    The 1099-B is a record of the value you received from the sale of the stocks - it does not tell you how much gain (or loss) you made on the sale. You report the sale of stocks on Schedule D, where you determine the capital gain (or loss) on each sale. The total of all sales you report on Schedule D should equal the amount reported on the 1099-B; that's how the IRS knows that you have reported all sales and aren't trying to hide something. Even though you never saw the cash from the sale, you enjoyed the value of the sale (as it paid off your tax liability), so you have to report the appropriate capital gains on Schedule D. So no, it's not double counting.
    adrih Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2013, 09:07 PM
    How much over the taxable part of the 1099 b I have to pay?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adrih View Post
    How much over the taxable part of the 1099 b I have to pay?
    ? Please clarify your question. The 1099B reports proceeds from your sale of stock or securites, and it should also provide the cost bais. You report both figures on Schedule D as capital gains or losses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 1099, will I pay in? [ 6 Answers ]

I made $7000 this year and sent a 1099 for it. Will I have to pay taxes on that, I have not saved a dime and am still broke. I heard that I had to at least make a certain amount before I had to pay in. I live in Iowa

Can I pay off the difference to Bank of America before filing a 1099-c form? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a college student in credit card debt. (what else is new) I was offered to settle my debt. I had a total of $3,300 dollars in debt and I offerd to pay 2,700. The difference was 663.00. I recenly received a 1099-c form because my balace owed was over 600 dollars, but only by $663 dollars!! ...

Pay My Taxes 1099! Easy! [ 3 Answers ]

Is What is written in Box 7 (... $) the amount I have to pay for taxes ? Or do I need to figure the amount out on my own ? ( I am on a R1 Visa and live in France) Thank you SO MUCH! Jo

Working on cpt and taking pay as 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am international student doing masters in usa, I am presently working on cpt and my opt starts from dec 25th 2007 and didn't receive my opt card, I shouldn't work until I get my opt card, but my employer is asking me to work and he said he won't run the pay checks but he will give my pay...

1099 are taxes [ 1 Answers ]

What am I supposed to do with a 1099R?

View more questions Search