Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beingscrewed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 12:01 AM
    Counceling at school without parental concent
    I just found out my Kindergartner has been taken out of class to see a councelor alone in her office. This has happened several times. No one has ever notified us or asked for concent. He all the sudden hates school and doesn't want to go back. Is this legal? Doesn't someone have to ask our permission for this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 21, 2006, 12:29 AM
    The school should have informed you of your child's situation. It is important to involve parents in the counseling process. A counselor may meet with an individual a few times before contacting the parents. But it's not right that they pulled your child out of class to see a counselor several times without notifying you. You should go to the school and ask them to give you an explanation. Let them know that your child was traumatized from seeing the school counselor and you need to know why they did it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Go talk
    Youu need to go talk to the counselor and the teacher.

Now according to recent court rulings, the school can teach children, they can question and test them about beleifs and they do not have to inform the parents about what is going on.

Welcome to the new world of pubolic schools. This is why so many are choosing to home school and/or private schools.

So you have to keep a close eye on all schools and be involved. Regular visits to a school must be done, reviewing every school book has to be done.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 21, 2006, 11:54 AM
    I myself didn't realize that public schools can do that, actually this information has made me more aware that I need to keep an eye on my daughters school(she is in first grade) Where is the parent's rights? I certainly hope that they told you the reason for these counseling sessions and what took place. I really don't like that at all what gives a school the right to take a child away from their learning time without a parents consent? That just shouldn't be allowed.
    I would talk to the school and get all the facts. Find out if they should have been able to do this without your consent. Aghh! That really ticks me off.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2006, 01:47 PM
    During the day, the school is legally responsible for the care (protection) of your child.

That is why a teacher cannot dismiss the class 10 minutes early and send them off school grounds.

While they should have contacted you about sending your kid to a counselor, they don't have to.

I agree with PrettynPetite1 and Fr Chuck. Go to the school, express your outrage and ask why this was done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 02:06 PM
    school board
    Of course for those that read my posts, you can understand why I never win any school board elections, but I have been saddened over the years at what happens ( not always at my local school) but at schools around the US.

Students graduating that can't read, teachers passing kids because if they fail too many they get fired, schools teaching social values to kids that may go against our religious values. Kids being suspended for sharing their beleifs to others. Try being a pro family, pro life ( that is not being in abortion or gay rights) teenager right now, you are almost an outcast in public schools.

My best experience was when my teen ( he is now 30) was in high school. He was being picked on and got into a fight. There were several witnesses to the event, all said that my son was merely protecting hisself.

The Principle suspended both of them for fighting, mad was not even close to what I was by the time I got to school. Anyway, the principle basically said that children were not allowed to protect thierself, that they had to report behavior. Easy to say if you are not being puched and kicked.

God forgive me, but I asked him that means if I started kicking the... out of him, he would merely lay there and let me and just report me latter.
    I guess fear in his eyes told the story. I may have sort of knocked his desk over in the discussion also. Lets just say I was lucky not to be in jail that day, but my son was back in school the next day.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
    The school will do WHAT EVER it wants to do, my daughter, was hospitalized for depression and suicidal thinking, when released from the behavioral hospital she went to out patient treatment, when she was released from the first hospital her school was notified that she needed to be placed in a school that had a physiological backing, this was in October 2005, it is now January 2006, she has completed all forms of treatment that was recommended by the hospital and out patient treatment programs, she has still not been transferred, because the school stated that it is providing her an adequate education. She again has begun to cut or self mutilate, I feel this is the schools fault for not transferring her to the school that was recommended in the first place. It is not her education I am worried about. The school system is not there for our children, there in it for the money. That's all, it cost the tax payers 8,800 for my child to go to her school, it will cost 19,000 for her to go to the right school to meet her needs, they say no funding, but every child that was at the hospital with my daughter have all been placed in the recommended setting by their school district, no funding, we have a water sprinkler system, flood light for all the playing fields, and an eye scanner to keep out bad guy, and I could list all the thing that we have and do not need, but I would be wasting your time. Go in and make a fuss, the more fuss you make the better
    beingscrewed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Thank You all for the advice and info. I do go to his school for surprise visits, and my husband volunteers once a week to help in his class. We also had a meeting with his teacher, councelor, psychologist, and three other people, to discuss his progress the very day before I found this out. We talked about a lot of things, but nobody said ANYTHING about these counselling sessions, not even the counselor. That's what I have a problem with.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beingscrewed
    Thank You all for the advice and info. I do go to his school for suprise visits, and my husband volunteers once a week to help in his class. We also had a meeting with his teacher, councelor, psychologist, and three other people, to discuss his progress the very day before I found this out. We talked about alot of things, but nobody said ANYTHING about these counselling sessions, not even the counselor. Thats what I have a problem with.
    A meeting the day before? Wow, that would have me pissed off too.

Your best option is to go there and complain, yell, express your frustration and anger with them.

Some advice though: Take your husband with you. I have witnessed school principals/ VPS respond better to a man’s demands than to a woman’s. My guess is that they might be more intimidated from a man.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 21, 2006, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    I have witnessed school principals/ VPS respond better to a man’s demands than to a woman’s. My guess is that they might be more intimidated from a man.
    It is very sad if this is the case still in this day and age! This the 21st cent all are =?? :confused:
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2006, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    It is very sad if this is the case still in this day and age !! This the 21st cent all are = ??? :confused:
    I agree. It is sad. But unfortunately it still does exist.
    mommaveloso Posts: 22, Reputation: 6

Jan 23, 2006, 04:11 AM
    I completely understand your frustrations about this.. I also had a similar situation... I have 2 girls that are school age. {i have 3, but one is only 7 mths} and in 2003 I was really sick, in and out of the hospital, and I was on several medications. Well one night I took my medicine and I guess it made me kind of sick so I threw up from it.. { it was antibiotics, and some others and they really hurt my stomach} well my youngest daughter at the time.. went to school and told her teacher she was sad because her mommy was sick and took a bunch of pills. Well instead of calling me to verify what my {at that time she was only in kindergarten too} daughter was saying. She turned it to the counselor.. who then in turn called the DCS. They talked to my girls alone.. with no principal or teacher or myself. My girls were scared.. they didn't know what was going on.. my oldest daughter came home so scared she was crying, she thought that they were going to take her away just because I was on medication.. needless to say.. I WAS PISSED>.. hubby was furious! He went directly to the principal of the school.. he informed him that if my kids were EVER talked to without another form of adult present to verify what the councelor was hearing.. then we would sue! That never happened again. They called us for EVERY little thing after that. Better to be over informed then NOT AT ALL!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Parental alienation [ 6 Answers ]

Help... my husband has not seen his son only 3 times this year due to mother's excuses for not providing transportation to our meeting place. She lives about 1 hour away and we agreed to meet when she left the county 2 years ago. She now has every reason in the world to not meet

Parental Controls [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a parent and I want to install parental control on my two kids' laptops. I want a program that will allow me to see what the are doing, and stop them if nessasary, and restrict them from certain areas of the web like chat rooms, aim, msn during certain times of the day.they are laptops...

View more questions Search