Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mowens642 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Default on auto loan what happens
    I have a auto loan and a auto lease and Im unable to make both the payments anymore. What happens if I default on the auto loan what happens I have good credit but I don't know the process if I default what happens after If I turn the car in and say I can't pay anymore what happens I know it will effect my credit what else.

What happens if I default on the lease instead my main question which has less issues or if I had to default on the lease or the loan which one should I default. I don't know what to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Defaulting on either will have a major negative effect on your credit rating. In addition, if you default on the loan, and either turn in the car or they repo it, they will sell the car at auction and then go after you for the difference. On the lease, they will take back the car then sue you for the balance of the lease.

On the lease I would see if the lease is assignable. Maybe you can find someone willing to take it over.

On the loan, I would try to sell the car yourself. Even if you don't get enough to cover the loan balance, you will probably get more then an auction. Or maybe you can get someone to just take over those payments.

If you had to default on just one, I would choose the lease. Because you never really owned the car and they can take it back, they may be more willing to cancel the lease.
    mowens642 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 07:57 AM
    The only way to walk away from this it filing bankruptcy on everything. I just can't afford both car payments I can pay all my other bills, its to tight with both car payments I don't think I should file bankruptcy because I can pay all my bills it just to tight with 900 dollars in payments a month for auto's. Im just am confused I see people file bankruptcy and there getting loans six months later and I don't really see any incentive to struggle when I see people file bankruptcy and move on like nothing happened.

Basically if I default they can sue me for the difference on what they sell the car for. I was upside down on both the lease and auto loan if that makes a difference.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Both the lease and the loan are contracts. You agreed to pay. If you default on the contract, you still owe what you agreed to pay. On the lease, there is the caveat that you agreed to pay for the use of the vehicle. If you turn the vehicle in you are no longer using it. The problem is that the dealer can no longer get the same amount for the car as you promised to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan Default [ 11 Answers ]

I missed 2 payments on my car loan and avoided calls from the lender because I knew I would pay them soon, when I received a long awaited check-in-the-mail. I got that check on Thursday and went online to make payments yesterday, Saturday, and was told that my "account had been closed". I then...

Auto reposession/Default on Auto Loan [ 3 Answers ]

To whom could lend some immediate advice, I purchased a 2005 brand new vehicle in 2005. This automobile has been repossessed as of 5/07. In addition, I filed bankruptcy (Chapter 13) in 2006 to avoid this very problem, however that has been dismissed for lack of payments. My current...

Bank Loan default [ 1 Answers ]

I received a Personel Bank loan of $6,000.00 for my upcoming Wedding. Two days before found her cheating and called it off. Went on the Honeymoon to Mexico by myself to get away and think things over. Spent the balance of the loan and the rest of my savings trying to forget. Ended up...

Car loan default [ 1 Answers ]

I have to default on my car loan. I also have a co signer, the car is not running the engine has blown... I advised the insurance company of same... what are th elaws regarding this... is still repaying the loan my responsibility

Auto loan default [ 4 Answers ]

Good evening: I currently have my auto loan through Wells Fargo bank. I have paid on my loan for the past three years without incident. On December 13, 06 I contacted WF to discuss paying off my loan since I was re-financing my home to clean up debt. They told me the payoff amount and that was...

View more questions Search