Feb 13, 2008, 07:11 AM
    1 or 3?
    How could 1 god to 3?
    Is it the truth or what...
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Are you asking about the Trinity?
    IF so, think of in human terms. You have a body (1), a soul (2), and a spirit (3). Your body is the physical part you can look at and feel. This flesh and bones body has a projected life span of around 80 years in today's world. Your soul is the thinking part of your body. It gives you reasoning skills, and controls the body functions. Your soul feels pain, hate, rage, love. Then comes the third part. Your spirit. In secular terms if you were to say you heard a little voice telling you not to do something. That would be your spirit talking to you. This might not be totally accurate, but it is how I can best understand the Trinity. The Bible clearly tells us about the Trinity. You must simply read. GEt a good concordance Bible in any translation that you can understand and start searching and reading.
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Feb 13, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Some people have difficulty with the Trinity. Our finite human mind can't completely grasp the infinite God. But if you believe in God you shouldn't have any trouble believing He is omnipotent. Because God has infinite power it shouldn't be hard for anyone who believes to understand that God can be three separate beings (The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit) and they all 3 make up One, and that is God.

It is and was no feat for God to manifest himself in the flesh (Jesus) and still remain in Heaven as well. Jesus' disciples were worried when He told them He would be crucified. They didn't want Him to leave them. Jesus told them that His Father would send them a Comforter (the Holy Spirit) to be with them always, that they would not be alone. Jesus died and rose from the grave to sit on the right hand side of His Father in Heaven. God sends Himself as the Holy Spirit to all of us who accept Jesus as our savior, yet The Father and The Son remain in Heaven as well.

Because God is omnipresent He remained and remains in Heaven, but was also on earth manifested in the flesh as Jesus, and God sends Himself as the Holy Spirit that is all across this earth in those He saves.

All three are God.

450donn is correct, the Bible clearly speaks of the Trinity. You must simply read.
    mani_jeddah Posts: 75, Reputation: -1

Feb 14, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Its means there are 3 gods
    N because they r togather so the word is peaceful otherwise the world will distroyed!
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 15, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; in such perfect agreement that Jesus could say "If you have seen me you have seen the Father". The Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son, hence, one God. Lots of discussion on this point for a very long time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 08:10 PM
    There are not "three" Gods in the trinity, there is one God with various persons, it is a special ability of God that man can not fully understand.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Feb 16, 2008, 12:41 PM
    The Athanasian Creed gives a solid explanation of the Trinity.

Athanasian Creed
    marvin_082500 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0
    -

Mar 16, 2008, 09:43 PM
    There's no such thing trinity, even in the bible you can't find trinity. It was only invented by the catholic church. There two God you must worship. The Son And the Father. There are many gods (psalms 82:1,6) "a psalm of Asaph. God standeth in the congregation of mighty; He judgeth among the gods.", " I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most high"
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mani_jeddah
    how could 1 god to 3?
    is it the truth or what......
    And as long as people believe in the trinity, they will never come to a full understanding of God's Word, which in NO WAY supports this doctrine.

The Athanasian Creed says that its members are "incomprehensible" and teachers of the doctrine often say it is a mystery to man. Obviously this Trinitarian God is not the one Jesus had in mind when he said in John 4:22 "We worship what we know."

Neither Jesus nor the first century christians used this as a basis for their worship.

A quote from The New Catholic Encyclopedia states "The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title - the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective."

So from Gods perspective, no this is not true... Jesus is Gods son and the Holy Spirit is Gods active force, but of course many will dispute this.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Mar 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    And as long as people believe in the trinity, they will never come to a full understanding of God's Word, which in NO WAY supports this doctrine.

So from Gods perspective, no this is not true...Jesus is Gods son and the Holy Spirit is Gods active force, but of course many will dispute this.

Yes I will dispute this because even though the Bible does not mention The word Trinity, it is very apparent that God is made up of 3 components. The father son and Spirit. These are 3 persons in ONE. The Holy Spirit is not a force but is a person just like God and Jesus. This is evident in the Bible because when Jesus makes reference to Holy Spirit it is always in the third person. He says I shall send one who will be your compforter. The Bible also says the Holy Spirit Grieves... which shows that the Holy spirit has emotion. A force does not have emotion.

A mere "Force" would not be able to :

Communicate ('speak') (Acts 13:2),
    Intercede (step in on behalf of someone) (Romans 8:26),
    Testify (John 15:26)
    Guide (John 16:13),
    Command (Acts 16:6,7),
    Appoint (Acts 20:28),
    Lead (Romans 8:14),
    Reveal to someone how wrong, foolish, or sinful he/she was (John 16:8).
    Seal God's promise in believers' hearts (Ephesians 1:13-14)
    Shape the life of each person and community to Christ's (Romans 8:1-17)

The Bible says the Holy Spirit intercedes for us, so He is a person and He is God.

Jesus is the son of God and Is God.
    John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend[a] it...

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

Mar 17, 2008, 04:32 PM
    [QUOTE=sassyT]Yes I will dispute this because even though the Bible does not mention The word Trinity, it is very apparent that God is made up of 3 components. The father son and Spirit. These are 3 persons in ONE. The Holy Spirit is not a force but is a person just like God and Jesus.

Well I'm definitely not here to dispute so I'll just leave you this scripture to ponder over -

1 Tim 6:3-5 "If any man teaches other doctrine and does not assent to healthful words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, nor to the teaching that accords with godly devotion, he is puffed up [with pride], not understanding anything, but being mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words... "
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Yes, there were many things debaed over the first century after Christs rise from the dead, What books would be in the bible, ( which ones were valid, which ones were not) and as the church grew, what creeds and teachings they were to follow. These were developed by the eary church, It was not any denomination at those time, it was just THE CHURCH, since there really was not any other. This group is what became both the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches.

It was clear to the early fathers of the church that there was a trinity and it is shown in the bible, there are very few Christian churches today that will not support this. And it was the teaching of the church since the early time of the church. So by the same guidance that set up the bible we use, the books in it, this same guidance developed the creeds and teachings of the early church.

But in the end, it is the acceptance of Christ as our savior that saves.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Mar 18, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    Yes i will dispute this because even though the Bible does not mention The word Trinity, it is very apparent that God is made up of 3 components. The father son and Spirit. These are 3 persons in ONE. The Holy Spirit is not a force but is a person just like God and Jesus.

Well I'm definitely not here to dispute so I'll just leave you this scripture to ponder over -

1 Tim 6:3-5 "If any man teaches other doctrine and does not assent to healthful words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, nor to the teaching that accords with godly devotion, he is puffed up [with pride], not understanding anything, but being mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words..."

You should be reading this verse yourself because the Jesus clearly describes the Spirit as a person (refering to Him as "He" NOT "it") and I have provided Bible verses that describe the Spirits personaly, character traits and emotion, yet you have created a false doctrine that the Holy Spirit is nothing but a force and this has absolutely no Biblical basis.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Check this out The Godhead - FLAME314 : Cross Movement Records
    -

Mar 23, 2008, 06:36 PM
    rickj how could you say it is not a teaching of cristianity. It is in the bible. Even Jesus believe there's a gods. John 10:34-35 "Jesus answered then, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods. If He called them gods, unto whom the word of God come, and the scripture cannot be broken." Now I dare you to prove ,it is not a teaching of cristianity
    Onan Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Mar 23, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Why do you call me good? No one is good--except God alone. [Mk 10:18, Lk 18:17, Mt 19:17]

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. [Mk 13:32]

And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. [Lk 12:10]

Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done. [Lk 22:42-43]

Father, into your hands I commit my spirit. [Lk 23:46]

The Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son [Jn 5:22]

By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me. [Jn 5:30]

I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. [Jn 8:28]

I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. [Jn 8:42]

If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing; it is my Father who is glorifying me, of whom ye say that He is your God. [Jn 8:54]

I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. [Jn 12:49]

The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work [Jn 14:10]

If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. [Jn 14:28]

I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me. [Jn 14:31]

Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. [Jn 16:25]

I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you [Jn 16:26-27]

I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God. [Jn 20:17]

As the Father has sent me, I am sending you. [Jn 20:21]

I would say, judging from these scriptures, the father and son are 2 different entities. I have seen scriptures posted saying differently which only shows that the men responsible for writing the NT contradicted each other and themselves. It's no wonder that after 2,000 years people are still asking questions.

Mar 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Onan
    Why do you call me good? No one is good--except God alone. [Mk 10:18, Lk 18:17, Mt 19:17] ......................

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. [Mk 13:32]

I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God. [Jn 20:17]

As the Father has sent me, I am sending you. [Jn 20:21]

I would say, judging from these scriptures, the father and son are 2 different entities. I have seen scriptures posted saying differently which only shows that the men responsible for writing the NT contradicted each other and themselves. It's no wonder that after 2,000 years people are still asking questions.

There it is plain as day from Gods Word itself! Separate beings, two different individuals etc etc!
    But Onan, it's not that the writers of the NT ever contradicted each other but rather that people who are reading it are taking some scriptures and twisting them to fit their own beliefs, just as they have done for many centuries, not taking the time to compare them to other statements related to the same subject (whether from the OT or the NT) or making sure they're in the right context. If they did then they would be letting HIS words speak for itself and not "lean upon their own understanding." (Prov 3:5) :)
    -

Mar 23, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Comment on Onan's post
    Approved

Mar 29, 2008, 12:01 AM
    it's not that the writers of the NT ever contradicted each other but rather that people who are reading it are taking some scriptures and twisting them to fit their own beliefs
    Not at all, the bible actually says different things in different places. No one has to take it out of context or twist scripture to fit their beliefs. One only has to go to the scripture that fits their belief.

Mar 29, 2008, 12:02 AM
    it's not that the writers of the NT ever contradicted each other but rather that people who are reading it are taking some scriptures and twisting them to fit their own beliefs
    Not at all, the bible actually says different things in different places. No one has to take it out of context or twist scripture to fit their beliefs. One only has to go to the scripture that fits their belief.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search