Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shinishi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 11:23 PM
    "Protect" and "Preserve"
    What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of something safe from harm, damage, or illness, to prevent someone of something from being harmed or damaged.)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Since you already have the definitions, I will try to talk laymens terms here.

To Protect something means that you defend it against an attack. The USA Military protects America against an invading army from Canada.

To Preserve something means you try to save it against Mother nature or some other act of God. We try to perserve the Mona Lisa painting in France from erosion after so many years.

That's my understanding on the difference between the 2 words.
    shinishi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 11:42 PM
    Thank you so much! This explanation is so clear for me, as a Japnese. Is the USA Military going to protect America against an invading army from Canada? Anyway, thank you for your answer!
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shinishi
    Is the USA Military going to protect America against an invading army from Canada?!
    Lol, no. That is just a fantasy in my head. The US Army is like what, 1000 times more powerful than the Candian one?
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Nez agrees: Laugh.What was That Alan Alda comedy,where as US President,he declared war on Canada,to boost his ratings?
    That movie is Canadian Bacon (1995).

That is one of my all time favorite movies. And, it was one of the final pieces of John Candy's work before he past away (Candy died prior to the movie being released, in 1994).

And, guess who wrote and directed the movie?
    Michael Moore. Yes, that Michael Moore
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 21, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Michael Moore. Yes, that Michael Moore lmfao not the H20 dude
    VSPrasad Posts: 108, Reputation: 10

Jul 25, 2007, 04:41 AM
    Protect:

To keep safe; to defend; to guard; to prevent harm coming to.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Protect

To defend or guard from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance, insult, etc.; cover or shield from injury or danger.

http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/protect

Cover for -- (provide an excuse or alibi for someone so as to cover up guilt; ``I won't lie and cover for you'' )
    Immunize, immunise -- (law: grant immunity from prosecution)
    Overprotect -- (protect excessively; ``Don't overprotect your son--he is an adult now!'' )
    Look out -- (to protect someone's interests; ``A man's got to look out for his family'' )
    Cover -- (hold within range of an aimed firearm)
    Guard, ward -- (watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect; ``guard my possessions while I'm away'' )
    Defend, guard, hold -- (protect against a challenge or attack; ``Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks'' )
    Shield, screen -- (protect, hide, or conceal from danger or harm)
    Charm -- (protect through supernatural powers or charms)
    Wall, palisade, fence, fence in, surround -- (surround with a wall in order to fortify)
    Safeguard -- (make safe)
    Cover -- (protect or defend (a position in a game); ``he covered left field'' )
    Cover -- (be responsible for guarding an opponent in a game)
    Mothproof -- (protect from moths; ``mothproof woollen clothes during the summer'' )
    Body guard -- (accompany and protect from physical harm)
    Insure -- (take out insurance for)
    Cover -- (to take an action to protect against future problems; ``Count the cash in the drawer twice just to cover yourself'' )

Preserve

1. to keep alive or in existence; make lasting: to preserve our liberties as free citizens.
    2. to keep safe from harm or injury; protect or spare.
    3. to keep up; maintain: to preserve historical monuments.
    4. to keep possession of; retain: to preserve one's composure.
    5. to prepare (food or any perishable substance) so as to resist decomposition or fermentation.
    6. to prepare (fruit, vegetables, etc.) by cooking with sugar, pickling, canning, or the like.
    7. to maintain and reserve (game, fish, etc.) for continued survival or for private use, as in hunting or fishing.

http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/preserve

1. [v] keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last; "preserve the peace in the family"preserve the peace in the family"continue the family tradition"continue the family tradition"Carry on the old traditions". More...

2. [v] to keep up and reserve for personal or special use: "Carry on the old traditions". More...

3. [v] keep in perfect or unaltered condition; "We preserve these archeological findings"save something in case you hit trouble."The old lady could not keep up the building". More...

4. [v] to keep up and reserve for personal or special use; "We preserve these archeological findings". More...

5. [n] a domain that seems to be specially reserved for someone; "The old lady could not keep up the building". More...

6. [v] prevent from rotting, of foods; "preserved meats"She saved the old family photographs in a drawer"keep potatoes fresh".

http://lookwayup.com/lwu.exe/lwu/d?s=f&w=preserve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"ED" (Pronounced "Ayed") [ 4 Answers ]

Further comment re Morganite's comment in the initial discussion of the "ED":i.e., "The altar was built on Jordan's West Bank (some say on the East Bank)." I was reading an article recently that stated that archeologists searched for some time on the "East Bank" for the "ED" -- to no avail. ...

View more questions Search