Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beautifulgirl2444 Posts: 8, Reputation: -1
    -

Feb 13, 2008, 03:54 AM
    Want to be a pilot?
    I want to be a commercial pilot... I love aeroplanes and want to fly them... I don't like fighter planes but the commercial planes... SO I want to be a pilot so I searched on the internet a lot but never found an appropriate answer...

If anyone knows how to be a commercial pilot?? Do let me know please?
    -

Feb 13, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Kk
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Feb 13, 2008, 03:57 AM
    Maybe ring an airline. I wanted to be a pilot too, but I'm colourblind :(
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Feb 13, 2008, 06:41 AM
    I know about 70 airline pilots and they all got there through the military. Let's face it, the training you'll need costs somewhere in the range of $1-2M. One route to military aviation is to get through college and somewhere along the line take the officer qualifying test for the service you want to try. The air force has most of the large cargo type aircraft that come closer to getting you the type rating you'll need for the airlines, so you are most likely thinking of air force blue.

To do well on the air force officer qualifying exam, you'll need to get some flying time. Many of the questions on the pilot portion of the exam have to do with reading aircraft instruments and there is no better way to get an understanding of them than to use them in flight. You'll want to take private pilot lessons. Depending on where you live, the lessons will be somewhere between $50-100 or more per hour with an instructor. You'd want to progress to at least soloing before the test.

BTW, I think the air force has a 7 or 8 year commitment after pilot training. This means it will take you around 10 years to get to a point where you can try for the airlines.

An alternative military approach is the Air National Guard. Pretty much everything above applies, but after pilot training, you aren't on active duty. You'll go back to civilian life, you'll just have to support the guard unit to which you are assigned. Folks can hold a civilian job with an understanding employer. You'll still need to take the flying lessons, but probably more of them. The competition for Guard positions is intense and they usually favor the person with the most flying experience.

If you have access to enough money, you can buy the training. The sequence is private pilot (a few thousand), instrument rating (several more thousand), multi-engine rating (10s to low hundreds of thousands depending on type aircraft), commercial rating (10s to 100s more) and type rating. The type rating is in the jet you want to get the job in. Imagine renting a Boeing 737 plus instructor for enough hours to get comfortable flying it and for someone to certify you are good enough in it to not kill people with it.

Bottom line, no matter what course you take, you need flying time and that takes money or the military.

If you want to contact me off line, I can forward you to a friend, who was one of the first women to graduate from the air force academy and a former C-141 pilot. I believe she would be willing to give you some more info on this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Sorry it does not cost a million dollars but it does cost a lot, most offer payment plans and loans. Some are approved for varioius programs for payment.

The military is one way, perhaps not as a airforce piot but by using your VA educational money after military to pay for private flight school

But while many pilots do come from the military, in commercial aire lines most do not, most come from the airlines own flight schools where they train pilots for their regional airlines who latter move up to the larger airlines.

Commercial Flight School

Flight School, Flight Training for Pilots | Aviation Flight Schools

langaAir for Accelerated Career, Business, and Recreational Flying. Learn to fly with our customized pilot training programs.

Feb 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
    I beg to differ.

The air force rates their training at $2M/pilot, but it is a government operation (probably could be done cheaper) and trains the individual to do many more things than required by the airline. The point is, flight training is very expensive and I would never suggest to a young person that they get in debt when there are other ways to do it. We really don't know who we are talking to here.

While the major airlines get some pilots from the regional subordinates, they do not get most from there. There are highly trained and experienced military pilots coming off active duty every day and historically they are the folks the airlines are looking for. There are several reasons for this.

Airlines want proven, stable individuals. They want folks who are steady day to day performers unlikely to get lazy and forget a checklist. The military teaches this.

The airlines like heavy jet time and the regional pilots, most of whom are flying small turbo jets, do not get that experience.

While there may be periods when more regional pilots are picked up, my guess is the reason for this is the declining salaries of the majors.

The airlines don't need to train pilots. There are plenty available. An applicant has to have a type rating in a jet the airline owns to get an interview.

The fact that the big airlines hire mostly military pilots is a real issue with the regionals. I have heard them whine about it many times. I also know of no military pilot (other than navigators and that is another story) flying for the regionals. They, because of experience, go straight to the biggies.

I don't know if the Montgomery GI Bill covers flight school. It may. I seem to remember you had to have a private pilot's license first.

Having said all of the above, my info is a bit dated. I've been out of flying for about 5 years, so with the problems the airlines have had, perhaps things have changed... but I doubt it.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Feb 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Here's one shortcut - Flight School, Flight Training for Pilots | Aviation Flight Schools - Not sure what qualifications and flight time you need for Comair Academy, but I have seen very young and low time guys begin by flying Cessna 152's in this program.
    Another non-military route you can try is many universities have Aviation programs (usually 4 year) that will get you hours and training towards your Commercial and ATP license.
    Whichever route you take, It will take some time, money, and dedication to really make it.
    I would recommend going to your local county airport and try a few introductory flight lessons, then take it from there.
    -

Feb 14, 2008, 02:33 AM
    I have many flying schools here in my country (Pakistan) which gives CPLs in most cheapest rates in the world... But after taking that I will be credited with only 250hours of flying experience... Then how to get on with an Airline?? Do airlines take the fresh CPL holders??
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Rodandy12- yes the gi bill covers flight training, I have helped several ex milatery to get there license ( pilot) They have a certain length of time to get as far along as they canA lot have gotten their atp license, starting with privet before time ran out . I know that costs have gone up ,but I believe that yours is over willmed quite a bit, BY THE WAY THERE ARE 2 AIRPORTS IN THIS COUNTRY THAT I HATE TO FLY IN OR OUT -- THEY ARE #! Ohara in cho. And atl in atlanta DO you think they would take me , ex air force , 12 years total JET ^ENGINE ( B$& JET BOMBER) PROP>_ C123 7 C130 h model?? ////// F.B.E.

Feb 18, 2008, 05:39 AM
    FBE, I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you can get on with an airline? From you post, I believe you are saying you are an instructor pilot, ex air force (not USAF?) with C-123, C-7 and C-130H, and 12 years total time.

Delta is the airline I know most about. Here is a link to qualifications an individual must meet to be selected for an interview with Delta:

Delta Pilot Minimum Qualifications

I suspect all the other major carriers would have similar requirements.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulgirl2444
    But after taking that i will be credited with only 250hours of flying experience.... Then how to get on with an Airline??? Do airlines take the fresh CPL holders???
    Hello girl:

No, they don't. Even though you have the license, you need the experience and you need to be type rated. You can get a CPL in a little teeny single engine plane. Those hours aren't going to help much. Depending on the current market for pilots, you're going to need 1,000's of flying hours - maybe as many as 5,000 hours. Depending on the market, you may need those hours in the type aircraft you're going to be flying.

It's a big and expensive jump to get there. Most privately trained commercial pilots build up hours by being flight instructors or crop dusters.

I wish I could have made my living being a pilot. But, the market DOES change. When I was a kid in the 50's, I remember seeing an ad in the paper where United Airlines was taking private pilots with NO experience. The add said, "We'll pay you a million dollars to come to work for us". That was over a career, of course.

But, when I got my private, there was a dearth of Vietnam veteran pilots with lots of hours looking for work. Pilots were a dime a dozen. However, about ten years later, when the bulk of the Korean war pilots were going to retire, there was a big need again.

As their needs go up or down, so do the flying hours you need to get the job.

excon

Feb 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
    excon makes a good point. The market changes with time. The best strategy might be to try to get as much flying time you can, any way you can with whatever ratings you can afford and wait for a time when the airlines are hiring.

As excon points out, during Viet Nam, the US military services were training fairly large numbers of pilots. They were doing their two years of training plus six years of service, then getting out and looking for airline jobs. In the mid-70s, the Korean vets started retiring and jobs opened up.

The ebb and flow of airline jobs has more to do with the economy these days. If we really looking at recessionary times, it is unlikely that there will be much in the way of an expansion of the airlines.

Again, try to get as many hours and ratings as you can afford and wait for a time when they are hiring. You may need another job in the mean time.
    -

Feb 19, 2008, 12:53 AM
    MMM so its difficult to be a pilot Privately so I should stop dreaming of being a pilot in my future... So I should go Aeronautical Engineering...

However thanks to all the people who replied on this forum especailly Rodandy12... Thanks and well wishes..!

Thanks...
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Beautifullgril2444- Here is some information that will help you get the information you are asking for :: Go to a store and buy a flying mag. Like - plane and pilot, aopa flying mag. Etc etc , you will find flying schools listed all over the usa. Start from privet and go through ATP. They will also do like any college( LONES) most will get you placed after grud. Check this out :: GOOD LUCK & GOOD FLYING < GOD BLESS>:::: F.B.E.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 08:34 PM
    One never should give up on their dreams, just work harder at making it happen. Like said, many people become a flight instructor to build up flying hours ( where they get paid to do it )
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 08:48 PM
    rodandy12 - THE AIRLINES DO HAVE THERE OWN PILOT TRAING SCHOOLS ALSO < I DO AGREE THAT MOST AIRLINE PILOTS ARE EX MILITARY PILOTS, most so the ones that have type rateings for ( HEAVY ) :: ARE YOU A FLIGHT STEWARDESS?? < I DO BELIEVE YOU SOUND LIKE ONE< BRING THE CAPT> A CUP OF COFFEE HA HA ::::::: YOU MISUNDER STOOD IN MY LAST POST ( I was USAF FOR 12 years, I was orig. on the B-47 , 6 jet engine bomber, The b-52 took its place. I was ( SAC> ). I am not instructor rated, I could have though, I was while in the active air force reserve on the C-123, C-130 H . 12 years total time in USAF. AS a cilvian I DO HOLD A PILOTS LICENSE( AMSEL I ( Aircraft single ,multi. Eng. LAND, INSTURMENT ) I did for a few years fly cargo, OH I am also( Part 135 rated)> When I got out of the USAF ,I had the chanch to go to work for the airlines But I didnt> BUT I WILL TELL YOU THIS< EVER SINCE I WAS KNEE JHIGH TO A GRASSHOPPER ALL I EVER THOUGHT ABOUT AND DREAMED ABOUT WAS FLYING< IVE TOLD MY WIFE MANY TIMES ( I RATHER BE FLYING THEN EAT ) ( ANOTHER TIME I TOLD HER I RATHER BE FLYING THEN Making LOVE TO A BEATUFYL WOMAN < NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT MY TRUE LOVE IS?? HAVE A GOOD DAY & SAFE FLYING & GOD BLESS:: KEEP HER BETWEEN THE CLOUDS <HA HA F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 01:37 AM
    Hay excon and every one < lets try a little trivia or history ok here goes - what was the red barons { real name?? } any guesses or knows?? f.b.e.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Hay excon- You are pretty close 3/4 right THE last name is spelled ( Richthofen ) You were right with also with ( VON) Now lets see if you can get hios first name(?? ) HINT - THE QUESTION MARKS IN THE ( _ ) THERE IS ONE ? MARK FOR EACH LETTER OF HIS FIRST NAME ::: I thought I"D start something like Trivia AVITION QUESTIONS JUST for a lot of fun, AND TO SEE HOW DUMB A LOT OF US OLD GIZZERS ARE> HA HA QUESTIONS I WILL POST ONE TIME A WEEK SO MORE THEN ONE WILL GET A CHANCH TO GIVE A ANSWER > GOOD DAY AND FLY IN BETWEEN THE LINES GOD BLESS :: F.B.E. GOOD GUESS EXCON
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Excon- Here is the full answer to this past weeks " aviation trivia" , Question - What was the RED BARONS REAL NAME?? ( Answer ( MANFRED VON RICHTHOFEN ) Excon you were 3/4 right with your answer , good going. F.B.E.
    Question - FOR THIS WEEK _ What was the " WRIGHT " BROS> FIRST NAMES??

Have fun , Good day & good flying , GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodandy12
    I beg to differ.
    BUT you claimed in your first reply that it would cost 12 mil for him to get training meaning paying out of own pocket for school
    Second reply was the military's estimate of what they cost to train THEIR pilots which is not the cost for a school

Joining the air force and training to be a C 130 pilot or something that is not directly in engaged in combat may be something to think about
    Refueling planes are neat too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Gas furnace has an intermittent pilot, pilot lights, furnace tries to start [ 3 Answers ]

Have a 25 plus year old furnace pilot will start when signal sent furnace tries to start makes noise as it tries over and over but will not start. Thanks

Pilot light stays on but pilot switch keeps resetting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a baso L62AA-5 pilot switch and it used to keep resetting. I would hold the switch down for a good minute and the gas lights, but after a half an hour or so it would go back to its reset position. The standing pilot light was always on and never a problem. After a few days of manually...

Pilot light! [ 3 Answers ]

How do I light my pilot light on my gas heat at my home?

Pilot help [ 2 Answers ]

ON my bryant furnace when the pilot goes to light it comes on for about 3 seconds then it cuts off and on over and over and over burners will not light and the systems makes a clicking noise.Please help

View more questions Search