Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 10:54 PM
    NoHelp4u - True the air force spends more on training a fighter vpilot ,next a bomber pilotBut do you also realize that it don't make any difference what type a/c you or your crew fly it and the rest of you Will go into actual combat conditions, IT WILL HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT , Also you may start to be a bomber pilot and the go into multi egn. Prop a/c , I started on B47 6 eng jet 6yrs then volunteered for active reserve and started on the twin engine C-123 then went to the C130 H , so you see it don't really matter what you went through in traing ,it all boilled down to could you do it ? Go from one a/c to another without a lot of father traing. The worst I think was the landing configerrations of the difference of a jet to a prop, I think I was lucky like a lot of other guys it came natural to me (FLYING ) THE service does spend a lot of money on geeting a pilot to the point, of being a real pilot, But they say a person that really truly love to fly ,HE will make a good pilot. YOU have heard people say that they are blue blood , will Im full fly blooded . I've always told my wife " IF idied flying know that I died happy "! GOOD Evening and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 11:13 PM
    Yeah I know you would go into combat but I was wondering if she just has a problem flying a fighter type plane or any military plane and going into combat conditions. I think if I wanted to fly I would check on what planes have a good history of making it through combat conditions.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Mar 2, 2008, 08:08 PM
    The most likely to be a loss are Army helicopters. They don't have much in the way of defensive equipment. The Army isn't in to that sort of thing... at least they haven't been 'til now. Least likely is tankers (KC-135 & KC-10s) followed closely by strategic airlift (C-5 & C-17). Then tactical airlift - C-130s. Most lost aircraft in desert storm were A-10s and F-15Es.

It's really more the mission than the aircraft.

Mar 2, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    BUT you claimed in your first reply that it would cost 12 mil for him to get training meaning paying out of own pocket for school
    second reply was the military's estimate of what they cost to train THEIR pilots which is not the cost for a school
    What I said was confusing. Sorry.

I meant that the Air Force values their training at $2M. I was saying all flight training is expensive and the airlines want the best qualified pilots they can find. They take most military trained pilots that apply, so in my mind, the best approach is to get the best training you can get and that is through the military. It is also free. It just costs time and the risk of having to fly in combat. Actually, they pay you pretty well as an officer in the Air Force.

Turns out this is not possible for the individual with the question.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Beautifulgirl2444 & Rodandy12 _ I read in th memphis tn. Sunday Commercial appeal news paper in the help wanted adds. That 2ew airlines comeing into memphis has a lot of openings from the ground up, for pilot , 1500 total with 1000 multi eng.. a/c mechs. Stewarts . You name it , I think you can go to ( wwwcommercialappeal.com) Section ( E ) page 2&3 > Good luck & GOD BLESS :::F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
    To - ALL- THIS PAST WEEKS AVIATION TRIVIA QUESTION WAS -:: ::

What was the first names of the wright brothers?? Answer-( Orville & Wilber )

This weeks Trivia QUESTION IS - THE FIRST FLIGHT <BY THE WRIGHT BROTHERS WAS MADE IN WHAT YEAR??
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Hey FBE, why does everyone forget Katherine, their sister. If not for her, They may not have achieved flight:
    The Wright sister
    Instead of the Wright Brothers, success maybe should have gone to the Wright Family?
    Take Care
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
    excon you are fully right it was in 1903,\. Stratmando - because no one knows about her ,she hardly ever was mementioned , good going excon:::: HELLO TO BOTH OF YOU , AND take care and KEEP IT BETWEEN THE CLOUDS::: F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 05:47 AM
    Beautifulgirl, I was thinking you were talking about the Big Airlines.
    After your private license, you will want Instrument, build hours, get your Commercial license, May ask your flight school if they need Instructors, You can Teach New Pilots and get paid and build hours, Commercial(getting paid to fly) can be Agricultural, pulling a Banner, Cargo, Sightseeing among others. Good Luck
    FBE, I have the complete? Works of the wrights on 4 CD's. I also have the Book by Gustave and Otto Lilienthals' "Bird Flight", the wrights used their book to help figure flight.
    My copy is about 100 years old.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Stratmando - I sure wish I had it . What ever you do do not get rid of it , I would almost bet that it is preety vauleable. It would be very interesting to read. How come you haven't tried to answer some of the trivia questions? Ive got a good one for this week. HUNG IN THERE AND Don't LET THE ENGINE QUIT ON WHAT YOUER HUNGING ONTO IN THE PICTURE ON YOUR POSTS HA HA GOOD FLYING AND GOD BLESS
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:29 PM
    THIS WEEKS TRIVIA QUESTION IS -- What is the worlds fastest ( MANED AIRPLANE)
    SPEED WAS MACH 3.2 2,193.167 MPH in 1976??

EXCON _ guessed right on last weeks question -- ANSWER - the year was 1903
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
    FBE, Here's one for you, what is the fastest speed a human has achieved, and lived, while in no aircraft, machine, or vessle. Hint:He exceeded the speed of sound, and was wearing a parachute.
    Who, and at what speed.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Stratmando - Let me ponder that one for awhile9 TILL LATER TONIGHT OK. NOW that one is a good one. Was it yeagar?? F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 06:52 AM
    No.
    He WAS Air Force, initials AK
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Hello Strat and FBE:

Would he be the guy who was strapped on a rocket sled back in the 50's? I don't know his name, but I remember the video of his face...

FBE, the fasted plane would be the SR 70 or something like that. It's retired now.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 07:23 AM
    It was in the early 60's, Wearing only a parachute, He jumped out of probably one of the slowest moving craft.
    Believe he also broke the altitude record.

Mar 27, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Are you suggesting that some guy jumped out of a balloon at high altitude and went above the mach on the way down and that this was faster than the guy who went above the mach on the sled or the guys who punched out of the Habu around mach 2.5?
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Rodandy Yes, that is what I am suggesting he exceeded Mach 1, and since your entrant has a jet sled, he doesn't qualify.
    I was talking about Art Kittenger.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Correction, His name was Joe Kittenger, sorry

Joe Kittenger reaches Mach 1 - The first true spaceman - on Bore Me

kittenger mach 1 - Google Search
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Correction, His name was Joe Kittenger.
    Hello again, Strat:

Oh, THAT'S why I didn't get it ;).

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Gas furnace has an intermittent pilot, pilot lights, furnace tries to start [ 3 Answers ]

Have a 25 plus year old furnace pilot will start when signal sent furnace tries to start makes noise as it tries over and over but will not start. Thanks

Pilot light stays on but pilot switch keeps resetting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a baso L62AA-5 pilot switch and it used to keep resetting. I would hold the switch down for a good minute and the gas lights, but after a half an hour or so it would go back to its reset position. The standing pilot light was always on and never a problem. After a few days of manually...

Pilot light! [ 3 Answers ]

How do I light my pilot light on my gas heat at my home?

Pilot help [ 2 Answers ]

ON my bryant furnace when the pilot goes to light it comes on for about 3 seconds then it cuts off and on over and over and over burners will not light and the systems makes a clicking noise.Please help

View more questions Search