Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tooyoung Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 11:09 PM
    Dentures
    I have dentures and have had them for about 4 years. I keep hearing that if they don't fit right it could be bad for my health. I do glue mine in but I don't really think that they don't fit. Is gluing them in all the time a bad thing to be doing?
    Seph Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Do you see a dentist for at least yearly check ups? Even if you have no teeth and wear full dentures, a dentist should check your oral tissues for sore areas and perform an oral cancer check. It is very important. The fit of the dentures can also be evaluated and if not sufficient can often be corrected or improved with a reline. It does not mean you will have to have the dentures remade. The cost for the exam should be nominal and even the reline is usually very affordable. Poorly fitting dentures can cause your jaw bones to resorb or disappear faster than normal. I wouldn't worry about using a small amount of adhesive, but I definitely would see a dentist at least 1x/year to have everything looked at. If you are doing that already and feel your dentist is spending adequate time checking the fit I would not worry(they should also be doing an oral cancer check).
    Hope this helps

Jan 24, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Dentures
    Seph,
    I have a full set of dentures and I mainly glue them in because I have to do a lot of talking in my job and my bottoms move and rub sores.
    The dentist that made them said that this is normal and not to worry that my mouth would get used to them. It hasn't yet.
    I try to see a dentist once a year but it has been 1 1/2 years since my last visit. I am going to see a different one at the first of March. I found your reply comforting. Thank you for replying.:D
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Hi, tooyoung,
    I, too, wear both upper and lower dentures now. It has taken my gums 4 months to "even out" after having some teeth pulled. I've had my dentures now since Sept. 2005... not long.
    Mine fit just fine, and I DO have to use Poligrip (or other "glue") on both of them. I have a final adjustment next month, for bite alignment. They are comfortable, and it's taking some time to get use to a "plastic shield" in the roof of my mouth... felt like a mouth full of plastic blocks for awhile.
    I am not a dentist, but a 64 yrs old man, who enjoys eating all solids foods now! Believe me, 4 years is much, much too long to be having problems with dentures! Three of my neighbors also wear them, and any problems have also been straightened out with them within 6 month.
    As you said, please see another dentist, maybe one who others in your local area recommend for working with dentures. I do wish you the best of luck.
    PS; Glueing them in every morning has no effect on health. The only "pain" I have is getting all the glue back off my gums at night! It's not really pain, just annoying, but has to be done... just one day at a time.

Jan 24, 2006, 02:30 PM
    I remember when I first got mine I felt like I had a wad of bubble gum on the upper part of my mouth. Now I no longer feel them but miss them if I don't were them. Thanks again for you help you not only answered my question but gave me comfort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need dentures? [ 0 Answers ]

I am just starting with a new dentist after about 7 years of not seeing one. I have always had bad teeth and dental problems. The situation now is - On the top, I have 3 missing teeth, one tooth half-missing (fillings fell out and it is barely there), three loose teeth due to possible gum...

View more questions Search