Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CadeRageous Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Which state do I pay taxes to? (lived in each exactly half a year)
    I moved from Texas to California last year and arrived in CA on July 1st. I didn't bother to get my CA driver's license for several months, but did establish residency on that date.

Since Texas has no income tax, of course, I'd like to say that it was my state of residency last year, since it was 50% of the year (WHEW!). I didn't begin work in CA until late July. I did make money in both states.

I seem to remember a rule about going with whichever I lived 6 months or more in (in my rare case it could go either way).

Can I just file my Federal taxes and forget about CA, or do I have to file and request money back? CA seems to have more rules than I know to ask about.

Thanks in advance.

Cade
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 06:49 AM
    You are considered to be a part-year resident of both TX and CA. You can not just ignore your taxes due in CA - sorry! What you do is file a part-year resident return in CA, and include only the income you earned from July 1 on. Obviously no need to file anything with TX.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I pay taxes when I work in a different state that I live in? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I currently live in Ct but work in NY. I know I have to pay ct state income taxes but do I have to pay NY state income tax? My husband lives with me in CT and works in CT. Should we file separately or jointly for state income taxes if I have to pay NY income taxes? Also would his CT...

Live in NJ but pay NY state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NJ but I work in New York. I took a look at my pay stub and I'm paying Federal and NY state taxes but I am not paying NJ state taxes. Is this correct? I'm concerned that next year I will have to file a NJ state tax return and will not be credited for paying the NY state taxes...

Worked and Lived in CT/US for only 81 days - How to pay tax [ 3 Answers ]

I came to US on an L1 visa on Feb 11th 2006 and left May 3rd 2006. I lived for only 81 days. During this time I earned about 13000 dollars in wages. I am also single. When I apply the substantial presence test, I find I do not pass it. Can someone tell me how I should file the Federal and CT taxes...

What state do you pay inheritance taxes in? [ 1 Answers ]

If my father dies in Delaware, but all of his children live in different states, whose inheritance tax laws are followed, Delaware's or the state that the individual heir lives in?

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

View more questions Search