Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    101st airborne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
    My daughter has days amd nights mixed up
    My daughter is 6 weeks and 4 days old. She has her days and nights mixed up. No matter what I do to try to keep her awake during the day it will not work. What can I do?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 11:19 PM
    As far as "days and nights" being mixed up... you mean that she sleeps a lot during the day and is up all night? Technically, it's not too uncommon in a child who's only a month and a half old. This is common among toddlers between 1 month - 3 months old.

Babies will change their sleep patterns as they grow... what's important is that you should try and sleep when the baby sleeps (if possible). When she's awake, try to be as active as possible with her... sooner or later, her sleep patterns will change to a more normal routine.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Feb 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
    I had the same problem, I think most babies do this. Really, the best thing you can do is try your best to establish a routine, maybe give her a bath right before bedtime, turn the lights and TV off, and do this consistently from here on out. It may take a while to work, but babies do like routine. She's still so young though, so be patient.

Along with trying the routine, you might as well take advantage of the time she does sleep during the day and sleep along with her.

One other thing you could try is co-sleeping. You must be very careful doing this! If you breastfeed, it'll be very easy. If you bottle feed, keep a thermos of warm formula by the bed so you don't have to go to the kitchen and make a bottle. When she wakes up during the night, quitely make a bottle and keep the lights off, don't make a fuss about it and gently soothe her back to sleep. If you choose to co-sleep, make sure there is minimal bedding and pillows are kept far away so she can't accidentally suffocate. There are special little baby beds made for safer co-sleeping, you could look into that. Also, you may want to sleep in the bed with just you and baby, make dad sleep on the couch until baby might sleep in the crib by herself. Please, if you choose this route, be careful and read up on this subject more. Co-sleeping can be dangerous, esp if you drink alcohol or use any drugs that make you extra sleepy, you may roll onto baby and not realize it.

If you don't want to risk co-sleeping, you can still do the thermos trick, that way it's not a big deal to make a bottle during the night, you can keep the lights off or low and baby won't get too excited and her sleep won't be so interrupted.

Just be patient, it will all work out soon!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Days and nights mixed up [ 5 Answers ]

Ugh it is 6:30 pm and I just woke up. My days and nights are backwards. I'm 4months and I sleep all day and stay up all night even when I try to get it normal again I cant. The baby sleeps at night like he's supposed to I know because I don't feel any kicks but when I sleep during the day I...

I smoked about 5 hits of weed few nights ago.will it show up in like 25-27 days? [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: I have a drug test for MEPS in 25-27 days... I only took about 5 hits and I haven't smoked since February or march of this year... I need some good help please... if I don't pass this test my mom will kill me and my plans will be ruined for the next 4 years.. so someone out...

Mixed Signals from guy daughter has been seeing.what does it mean? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter met this guy about 3 weeks ago and they have really hot it off. He has been so nice to her. He calls her all the time, wants to see her everyday, texts her Good Morning Beautiful, calls her terms of endearments... such as babe, darlin, kisses and hugs her, tells her he wants her to go...

Mixed baby mixed family emotions [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my name is heather and I'm 20 years old I just found out that I'm pregnant I'm white and my boyfriend is black. I've dated black guys for a while so you would think that my family would be use to by now well just a few days ago I told my mother that I was pregnant and the first thing she told me...

Sleepless Nights. [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble getting to sleep at night. I go to bed regularly at 11:00pm and don't manage to fall asleep until well past 3:00 in the morning. I then wake up at 7:00 to get ready for work/university. I am fit and active and do at least 1 hour of exercise every day. I am eating fewer calories...

View more questions Search