Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    101st airborne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
    How much can I put on a 15 amp breaker
    I just got a new house. I totally gutted the house and now I am rewiring it. I got 15 amp breakers. I planned to wire 1 bedroom per breaker with 10 outlets and a ceiling fan in each room. Is this too much for my breakers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Depends on what you plug into the outlets, 15 amps is just that 15 amps, not 18, not 20. So add up the amp draw for what you plan to plug in and that will give you an idea.
    101st airborne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Is this too much for my breakers
    I just got a new house. I totally gutted the house and now I am rewiring it. I got 15 amp breakers. I planned to wire 1 bedroom per breaker with 10 outlets and a ceiling fan in each room. I don't know how to figure out how many amps I will need. Plugged into the outlets I will have the usual bedroom stuff: TV, dvd player, 2 alarm clocks, 2 lamps, cell phones etc. Is this too much for my breakers.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 04:06 AM
    The new 2008 electric code calls for newly wired bedrooms, living rooms, and similar areas require outlets be protected with a Arc Fault Circuit Breaker. This includes lights, ceiling fans, and smoke detectors.

Check local codes as some states do not want the detector on AFCI.

One bedroom per general purpose lighting circuit as you described is fine. A good design is to have two circuits in a room if one goes out there is still some power for lights, etc.

This circuit is OK for the appliances you mention. If there is any chance for a window AC, treadmill, or anything large, you may need to consider a separate 20 amp circuit for that appliance.

General purpose lighting circuits are calculated by multiplying 3 watts per square foot of total living space of the home, and figuring how many 15 or 20 amp circuits will serve that total wattage to arrive at the minimum amount of circuits will be needed. More is always recommended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running 2 100 amp breaker boxes on 200 amp meter base [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 100 amp breaker boxes,but the meter base is 100 amp.Wanting to put 200 amp metet service with disconnect box.Can some one tell me if this is possible.and how you would connect the 2 breaker boxes to the disconnect box.Thank you

Replacing Circuit Breaker with Higher AMP Breaker [ 8 Answers ]

Excuse me, I did look at the code book as is suggested in your Sticky. The NFPA may answer this question, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize it: Our offices are upstairs in an older (renovated home) building with modern wiring. We have 4 computers, 3 printers, and miscellaneous with...

Can I switch a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: can I switch a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker? I just bought a home tanning bed and the plug has a horizontal plug which won't fit in a regular outlet. I bought a 20 amp outlet and installed it. The tanning bed tripped the circuit breaker. I got a 20 amp circuit breaker and replaced...

How much load can be put on 15 amp breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I am wanting to put 6 outlets, a fluorescent light and 2 track light fixures in my basement. Can I put everything on one breaker? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search