Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MattBradley196 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Dog won't eat
    Me and my roommates recently rescued a 10 year old chow chow/golden retriever that was abandoned on the side of the road. We have taken it to the vet and according to him he is in pretty good health and we updated his vaccinations. He did say that he is probably about 10 lbs underweight. We all have grown up with dogs, so we are familiar with certain behaviors, but he will not eat. We have tried a couple different types of foods, and the only thing that he'll eat are little strips of those beggin' strips treats. We are pretty sure he was either neglected or abused by his previous owner and think that might have something to do with it. Does anyone have any advise.
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 12, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Maybe he is used to table scraps.

Have you tried feeding him with your hand?
    MattBradley196 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 10:04 PM
    We have. We have tried sausages and tried feeding him some dog food with our hands but he just sniffs it and walks away.

Feb 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Get him some China 30c from your health food store.

Take 5 pellets (or 2 tablets )and put them in 8 oz of water. Give him some with a dropper 1-2 times a day until he eats.

This is what I give to my cat when he won't eat.
    ayashe Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Feb 12, 2008, 10:33 PM
    The vet didn't recommend a certain food to help? Don't give up on your doggie, maybe once he is adjusted he will eat more. I had one dog that was a picky picky eater and looked underweight for years, then plumped out once I had her fixed. Good luck to you both!

Feb 13, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Is he drinking plenty of water or fluids?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBradley196
    me and my roommates recently rescued a 10 year old chow chow/golden retriever that was abandoned on the side of the road. we have taken it to the vet and according to him he is in pretty good health and we updated his vaccinations. He did say that he is probably about 10 lbs underweight. we all have grown up with dogs, so we are familiar with certain behaviors, but he will not eat. we have tried a couple different types of foods, and the only thing that he'll eat are little strips of those beggin' strips treats. We are pretty sure he was either neglected or abused by his previous owner and think that might have something to do with it. does anyone have any advise.
    He has been through a lot and may take a while to adjust. Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171
    Pick a dry chow, most of them will be fine. Try adding some low salt chicken or beef broth to it. The vet may even have a high calorie product to get him through the crisis. You really need to get him on dog chow before long. See http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan05/050115ww.asp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog will not eat dog food [ 11 Answers ]

Our little dog (5 lbs) mix breed was a horded dog when we got him from humane society. He does not eat dog food wet or dry we have tried many many kinds. He does eat the cat food that is left on the plate from the cat, but not always. Of course he eats what we are having and the Wagon Train dried...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

New dog, won't eat help me [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I just got a dog from the humane society last night around 8. We took her home, introduced her to the other dog and cats and everyone's fine. But my new dog, Athena, won't eat anything, I've been trying to get her to eat or drink. She won't even drink. She's about 2 or 3 years old. I know...

My dog won't eat! 2 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 months old Shih-tzu mix. I recently discovered the food I have been feeding him are not quite what I thought it would be, so I am trying to switch him to a better quality brand. At the first 2 mean when I try to mix the new kibbles in just a bit, he ate like usual, with excitement :D...

View more questions Search