Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsJoseph06 Posts: 189, Reputation: 22

Feb 12, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Windows XP vs. Vista
    Well my computer just crashed it knew the day was coming but your never prepared for it. I however need to have the hard drive sucked off it so that we can get all our files etc.. Geek squad is charging 159-199 to do that. Then I need a new computer and I want to know if I should go with Vista? Or stay with XP. We have 3 computers in our office and I need them to be able to work together! IE Networking, transferring files, etc... PLEASE HELP!!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 06:58 PM
    I've heard of (and personally experienced, trying to help others) many problems with Vista. The internals of Vista are completely different than XP, and as such many peripheral devices such as printers, scanners, networks, etc. have issues. See this old column or this one as examples. Some things have been addressed by now, but other issues still remain.

My opinion is that XP is good enough and stable. Why take a chance?

Hope this helps,
    Wally H.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2008, 07:09 PM
    You won't find a XP machine in a retail store. And there are getting scarcer in mail order.

New PCs are optimized for Vista, so you should stick with it. I have no problem integrating my Vista and XP PCs.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 08:29 PM
    You know it is coming -- there will be a time when XP is no longer supported

Just as Windows 98 and Windows 2000 -- Old like the 8 track tapes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My time keeps changing. I have the time zone set correctly but it always advances an hour. What can I do? When I make the changes I cannot hit APPLY, it isn't highlighted. I just bought this computer and it has Norton on it. Does that make a differnce somehow on not being able to make any...

Windows vista [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've just bought a new laptop and it came with this 'upgrade your windows vista experience' cd which on the side says that I have to purchase a separate upgrade license, is this true because I thought it would have come with windows vista

Windows vista [ 3 Answers ]

Bought a new laptop with vista basic on it now nothing but problems Tried to connect a laser mouse does not work it lights up that's it Need this mouse to work it Microsoft notebook optical mouse 3000 certified for windows vista does not work like I said it lights up but that's it help please...

View more questions Search