Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TaxHelpNeeded Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Hope/LifeTime Earning Credit
    I am on H1, wife on H4. We got married late 2006, and for the yr 2006 we filed jointly with she electing to be a resident. Since Fall 2007, my wife is pursuing her masters and I paid two semesters worth of tution in 2007. (~$7500). I know there are 2 credits, Hope Credit and Life Time Earning Credit for education. Since Hope gives me a deduction of $1650 whereas LifeTime earning would give me a credit of $1500 (20% of first $10000) I want to claim the Hope credit.

Looking at the IRS publication I believe I meet the guidelines
    Generally, you can claim the Hope credit if all three of the following requirements are met.

* You pay qualified education expenses of higher education.
    * You pay the education expenses for an eligible student.
    * The eligible student is either yourself, your spouse, or a dependent for whom you claim an exemption on your tax return.

I assume graduate school education is higher education and we definitely meet the other 2 criterion. I just wanted somebody to confirm that my understanding of the two credits is correct, that I am eligible to claim Hope Credit?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:09 AM
    You can ONLY claim the Lifetime Learning Credit, or claim the tuition as an adjustment to income.

The Hope Credit is for freshman and sophomores in undergraduate school and is NOT an option for you.
    TaxHelpNeeded Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Hey ATL,
    Thanks for the response. Trying to get in touch with the IRS on their helpline is so time-consuming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lifetime Movie [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to obtain the title for a movie aired on lifetime. It was about a family with two little girls who were allergic to sunlight and have to live in the dark. They had to go through alot of court cases because it was such an unusual thing and nobody believed them.please help me:confused:...

Lifetime Learning Credit [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1-B Visa status and my spouse on H4 Visa status we had filed for 2006 as married filing jointly, now my spouse is on F1 -visa as a student. Can we continue to file as married filing jointly and claim my spouse as resident alien or my spouse has to file separately. Also can we claim for...

A lifetime of work down the drain? [ 25 Answers ]

Now that I have gotten your attention... :) I was just wondering about the divorce questions in this forum and personal experience with friends going through divorce. Is there a right way to do it? Everyone marries to stay together "forever", to build families, to make a life. Then years...

3 Years and Wanting a Lifetime... [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Hi there. I have been wondering how I can get past a certain situation with my boyfriend. Well, it's not a situation now, but I don't want it ever to be. Just follow me... I have been with five other guys, intimately before. My live-in boyfriend of 3.5 years on the otherhand, has...

View more questions Search