Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theforgottonwar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
    13th Amendment and Military Law
    After enlisting in the Army, and completing the 8 year obligatory term required of all persons who enlist in the military the Army stop-lossed me. I am wondering how this is legal when the 13th amendment clearly states "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude" "shall exist in the United States."

I am now involuntarily serving in the Army and I have not been able to get a clear answer to how this is legal. I would appreciate if anyone can give me an explanation to this or perhaps point me in the right direction.

Thanks... Jason
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Feb 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Hi, Jason!

As a vet myself, let me see if I can clear it up for you a bit.

#1: Once you enlisted, the Constitution no longer applied to you. Instead, the UCMJ became your guiding legal document. Therefore, the 13th Amendment is not a factor.

#2: Go over your enlistment paperwork. You will find in there (somewhere, I can't remember exactly) a clause that says they have the right to hold you as long as national security dictates as necessary.

In other words: Until they cut you loose, they do in fact own you--lock, stock, and barrel.

I didn't like it either, but once the personnel officer showed me where it was and that I'd signed it, I was out of arguments.
    theforgottonwar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Thanks kindj... Isn't it ironic that the very thing we swore to protect no loger protects us.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Feb 12, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theforgottonwar
    Thanks kindj...Isn't it ironic that the very thing we swore to protect no loger protects us.

It seems so. But then again, look at the all the possible things that could happen if it DID protect us. Can you imagine a military with full freedom of speech rights? The right to peacefully protest? Wow... doesn't even bear thinking about. By necessity some things have to be sacrificed for the machine to function as intended. It's just one more of the many sacrifices we made. For me, it was only temporary. 12 years later, I am a private citizen again, doing my own thing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 04:44 PM
    And hidden away in some of that paperwork, esp if you do certain MOS, there will be a little clause that even after you are discharged, in times of national emergancy or war, you can be called back to active duty.

Been there done that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Friday the 13th as unlucky as it is reputed to be? [ 12 Answers ]

Not sure if this is under the correct heading lol Today is Friday the 13th, here in the UK it is reputed to be an unlucky day for some, first of all has anyone had a unlucky day today or on a Friday the 13th in the past and if they have, what happened? Secondly are there similar days in other...

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

One more custody law proposed amendment; for now. [ 61 Answers ]

--The putative father should have the right to submit to the judge that they have or may have gotten a woman pregnant, and wish to prevent an abortion attempt by the mother. Pending DNA after the putative fathers request is accepted, should have the right to put a stop on any abortion attempt by...

How about this custody law proposed amendment? [ 15 Answers ]

--After custody has been established, the custodial parent has five years to pursue child-support. The non-custodial parent has no financial obligation thereafter those five years, starting from the moment of a judges' signature of custody. The custodial parent has been able to care for the child...

Filing an amendment [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file an amendment to my 2006 taxes that were done online?

View more questions Search