Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodplod Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Email - Unplanned copy sent to other friend in address book
    Using OE6 on Windows xp. When sending an email to one person in my address book, a copy of this email is automatically sent to another friend in my address book who I did not want to send the email to. (Good job I'm not talking about him LOL! ) Any idea what's going on here? Is OE corrupted, a virus or simply a setting out of place. Many thanks in advance. Rod
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 17, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodplod
    Using OE6 on Windows xp. When sending an email to one person in my address book, a copy of this email is automatically sent to another friend in my address book who I did not want to send the email to. (Good job I'm not talking about him LOL !!) Any idea what's going on here? Is OE corrupted, a virus or simply a setting out of place. Many thanks in advance. Rod
    This could be a virus that has hijacked your address book. There is an option in OE "warn me about other applications trying to send email as me" that might have merit; however, I have it turned on but have never tested it's effectiveness. You should also have an antivirus program installed that scans incoming/outgoing emails for infections too. If you don't have one, I would recommend the Avast free edition which also notifies you if multiple copies of the same email have been sent out in a very short period (the default is 5 seconds but it is adjustable). Another good reason to have this type of protection is that if a virus has hijacked your address book, it could also be using your PC to send out thousands of emails to other addresses as well.
    rodplod Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xphelper
    This could be a virus that has hijacked your address book. There is an option in OE "warn me about other applications trying to send email as me" that might have merit; however, I have it turned on but have never tested it's effectiveness. You should also have an antivirus program installed that scans incoming/outgoing emails for infections too. If you don't have one, I would recommend the Avast free edition which also notifies you if multiple copies of the same email have been sent out in a very short period of time (the default is 5 seconds but it is adjustable). Another good reason to have this type of protection is that if a virus has hijacked your address book, it could also be using your PC to send out thousands of emails to other addresses as well.

I have checked for viruses etc and already have the security measures in place that you suggest, but thank you for taking the time in replying anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I know somebodys IP address, can I find out their email address? [ 2 Answers ]

If I know somebodys IP address, can I find out their email address?

Do you have a copy of this book? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am looking for a book, and cannot find even a second-hand copy. I would like to buy a copy if anybody has one they would like to sell, or if they have any idea where I can get one (world wide) I would be grateful for the info. Thanks. The book is The ultimate guide to...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Copy from Word Logo & insert in Email [ 3 Answers ]

Can I copy a letter I have in a word doucment that also includes a graphic letterhead i.e. logo and insert in Yahoo mail. I know how to copy & paste the regular part of the letter but cannot insert the Logo. Maybe not possible.

Copy a book to computer [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can scan a book into my computer to read for myself only without getting into trouble with copyright laws

View more questions Search