Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JESSICANPRTHSTATE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Someone else claiming my kids
    Me and my husband are separated he claimed the kids first I was supposed to I wonder if the social numbers will go through when I file or if it will reject them

I think my husbnd claimed my kids illegally

I think my husband claimed my kids

Becauce I filed on the computer first but it was rejected due to incorrect fin but the IRS said I would not be late even if I couldn't fix the error on my tax form until after the deadline becauce technicaly I already filed , so it shouldn't of let him file the kids I would think

How will I know if someone filed my kids or not
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2008, 10:19 AM
    I've merged all your posts together. Please do not start multiple threads with the same question.

When you file a return you list the SSNs of your dependents. The IRS checks this against all other returns to see if the same SSNs are listed on someone else's form. If they find a match, they will reject the return and you will have to take your case to the IRS to prove you are entitled to list them.

If you can prove it, then whoever else listed them may be charged with tax fraud.
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 12, 2008, 10:22 AM
    ScottGem is correct unless there are already Court docs in place entitling him to that particular year.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Since you are still married, I assume you are filing as married filing separately, correct? The IRS says that the person who the child lived with for the majority of the year claims him/her. If that's you, then I suggest you file your taxes by paper, and include a written statement that describes you are separated and you have custody. Better would be if you had a written separation agreement that spells this out.

See Pub 501 for full details- note that it spells out the tie breaker rules for cases like this :

Publication 501 (2007), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information

If/when you get divorced, be sure your divorce decree incudes a statement as to who gets to claim tax deductions for the children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statement of claim filed [ 14 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Yesterday I was served a statement of claim by my county small claims court regarding a $2800.00 debt owed to Capital One. The statement tells me I'm being sued by them and their attorney gas filed this with the county clerk. I have been unemployed for close to 3 years and...

How long can I claim my kids on my taxes. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and was wondering how ling can I claim my kids on my taxes. Any help would be appreciated.. My sister lives in New York and told me that she can only claim her kids until they are 17. I am hoping that isn't true here in my state. :)

Can I claim my absentee kids on my tax returns? [ 3 Answers ]

My3 kids (15, 12 &7)live with my ex in Africa. Although they have never been in America before, a sizeable part of my income is remitted to them for their upkeep. Can I claim them when I file my taxes?

Non custodial parent fraudalently claimed kids 2006 [ 4 Answers ]

My children's father filed both kids on his taxes without my permission, the return was referred to child support and given to one of his other children and none to mine, I didn't file last year because of this, but now since I wasn't paid I really want to file this year, but don't want to tie up...

Married to a Active Duty and want to Relocate my kids before papers are filed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been having issues. He's AD in the military I am prior service. We've been married 7 years he's been in the military since 1998. It was an abusive (Verbal) relationship. There has been a few physical scuffs but nothing I ever documented the way I should have. The last...

View more questions Search