Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RandyPaschal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Can you splice a repair to a wood stair stringer?
    My exterior stairs have three stringers about 16 feet long each. A couple of sections are rotted.
    Is there a way to splice a repair, or must the stringer be a continuous piece of lumber?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 12, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Those are long stairs! There would be a couple of ways to do a splice: nail some stringers into a beam and/or support the joint with a post.

With rot problems, wouldn't it be easier to rebuild the whole staircase?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 09:48 AM
    I would not try to repair a rotting stair. The rot will continue if you splice in a new piece for support. I'd bite the bullet and build new. If you repaied that stair and someone were to get injured your home owners insurance is not required to cover your losses.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Feb 27, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Build New !
    clanmac Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Feb 29, 2008, 08:02 PM
    I agree with the above and replace all of it, for peace of mind over all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Splice [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best technique to use when splicing romex wire that will wind up in a conduit?

What is a PVC Splice and Stub? [ 1 Answers ]

Is a splice a coupler, like a female slip coupler? Is a stub, just a cut out piece of a pvc pipe? Is MIPT/FIPT two types of NPT. Or is NPT a different type of thread? I'm just trying to understand some of the terminology used in pluming.

Need to do temporary repair on leaning wood fence [ 3 Answers ]

My poorly constructed fence has lasted, surprisingly, about 20 years. One side is leaning outward. Can I just get a cable around the post(s) and pull them straight using a turnbuckle and stake in the ground? Is there a better way? I am not too good at repairs and know this fence is on its...

Wood fence repair [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I buy a metal bracket to repair a wooden fence post?

Cement Patio and Wood Stair Rail? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The metal stair rails on our concrete front porch recently broke and we had to remove them. I would very much prefer to replace them with wood rails, which I think are far more attractive. However, looking around the neighborhood, I only see wood rails with wood patios and decks, and...

View more questions Search