Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 01:21 PM
    I've recently found myself posting to a thread but when its submitted two other people have already posted that can get confusing has any one else had this problem?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Lab,

Remember I'm not posing a rule, but rather a guideline. But I think the situation you describe is still covered. Simply use the comments to add an I agree, nothing more to add comment. That will reassure the poster looking for input from a specific person.

Tal,

Yes I've encountered such situations. That's why I always double check post times. If a post is within a few minutes of mine (or vice versa), I will give the benefit of the doubt.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 01:54 PM
    I mostly stick to forums where there aren't many good people. Some might say none. Still it does happen. I try to think to look at the posting times and cut the second one some slack if they are close. This would be a problem if there was a rigid rule. I also spend a long time on some of my answers.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 20, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Very Good Points
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    Askme was bad for stuff like that. From experience. Answerway.com is set up almost like askme and that stuff still happens.

Feb 20, 2006, 02:17 PM
    There is no way this could be a rigid rule. I would never advocate that. But if it were made a guideline it might make some people think a bit about how others view this practice and the damage to their reputations if they continue it.

Scott<>
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 03:22 PM
    What do you mean by reputation? Isn't it enhanced in cases like this, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=21214 Doesn't every approval mean a happy customer? Or do you mean the respect of the good people here and people coming for help? I am not here to kill time or make friends. I doubt the people abusing things here care what you and I think of them.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 20, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The consensus I see from these discussions goes as follows:
    1) If a question is technical in nature, once it has been answered adequately others should not repeat the answer. Instead they should add a comment supporting the answer.

2) In the above case, one should add an additional answer only if it adds substantively to the previous answer(s).

3) In a non technical question, additional comments supporting previous answers are more welcome. Since such questions are more a item of opinion, multiplicity of opinion is welcome.

Scott<>
    Scott those are very good points maybe get some kind of forum Etiquette there are lots of people here that already use these rules, but there are also those that don't and play the system.

Feb 21, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Or do you mean the respect of the good people here and people coming for help?
    Yep that's what I mean. Clearly some people are totally impervious to what others think of them. But some might take the hint.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 22, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I've recently found myself posting to a thread but when its submitted two other people have already posted that can get confusing has any one else had this problem?
    It happens several times when one is still writing a post and others answer at the same time but are shorter and more quick in submitting. I guess I just get long-winded a lot and have to accept it. Sometimes 'short and sweat' is OK, but I like to take time and pay attention to my responses to benefit others - hopefully.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 25, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    What do you mean by reputation? Isn't it enhanced in cases like this, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=21214 Doesn't every approval mean a happy customer? Or do you mean the respect of the good people here and people coming for help? I am not here to kill time or make friends. I doubt the people abusing things here care what you and I think of them.
    After reading that thread again and again, I see where you're coming from. The person asking for help apparently did not know how to use the 'comment on this post' system - you are the first one who gave a detailed suggestion in that one - IMO.

But this should not stop you from giving your advice to help other's - some people will slowly catch on and they do appreciate your input.

There are many other posts that were commented with a 'thank you for responding' which does not, IMO, count as a rating, but it should not stop any of us from trying to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell thrmostat- what is this piece? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm no electrician so bare with me... it a round thermostat that says honeywell in middle.. took the ring surrounding it off... can see the dial and screws that mount it but there is this adjustment slider thingy at the bottom.. what is it and where should I have it placed... also the person who...

Champion 2 piece Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Have had toilet less then a year and has worked fine lately seems not enough power to properly flush toilet. Possible flush valve seal?? Any suggestions greatly appreciated

4 Piece Shower Enclosure [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a bathroom in my new garage addition, and am seeking input for the 36" Sterling shower enclosure. 1) Instruction state that back and side walls can be attached to bare studs or over water resistant wall board. Any opinions on which is best? 2) The base I plan to...

4 Piece Shower Enclosure [ 3 Answers ]

"Do they make a drain receptor with female threads on the inside that could be glued to the 2" pipe afer the base is set, and with the drain grate screwing into that?" They do but I'm not too sure you can use it on a manufactured shower base. It's called a "flange type shower drain", (see image)...

View more questions Search