Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mscodie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Early retirement & paying off debt
    I was recently laid off from my job of 37 years. I am 56 years old. I don’t want to work, I want to retire. I have a company pension that I can take a lump sum of $500,000, or a monthly of $4,000, or even a partial lump & the rest of a monthly. I also have a 401k with $80,000 in it, & a severance of $36,000. I have $100,000 in debt. I want to cash out my 401k & use it & my severance to pay off the debt. Then with my monthly pension & my husband’s income with all the debt gone I can stay retired, not work & still have about $2,000 a month left to save etc. The problem is that every one I tell this plan to says I am nuts to cash out my 401k. Am I?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Since you are over 55, you will not have any penalty ( if memory serves me right) but you will have to pay taxes on the money you take out. So your 80,000 will only be about 60,000 net after taxes.

What is the interest rate you are makingon the 401 K, and what is the intreat you are paying on the loans.

But it does not sound like that bad a idea if your package and the net from 401 would pay off all of the debts.

If you did not have the company pension, then I would say no, but no debts and 4000 a month you should be fine

Feb 11, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I don't know what the interest rate on the 401k is, I do know that two months ago I had $92,000 in it so I am losing $$$ every day. It was a company sponsored matched 6% 401k. The loans are a visa loan, personal loan, revolving loan, two car loans, all through my bank & 2 student loans & a few credit card loans. I am lucky I have the pension, thanks for the advice, I want to be debt free!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Yes, this sounds what I would do if I had that opportunity.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 07:40 AM
    If your 401(k) is properly diversified and has a reasonable allocation between stocks and bonds, you should expect that the average return you will get is around 8% (assuming say 40% bonds and 60% stocks). Some years you'll do much better, and others worse. So the math says that if our debt is at an interest rate greater than 8% it makes sense to pay it off, even if it means cashing out some of the 401(k). However, you do have another option - you could take a $100K lump sum from your pension, which after taxes and combined wit the lump sum severance after taxes should be able to pay off your debts, and with the remaining $400K in your pension that would give you income of $3,200/month. The advantage to this is that your 401(k) keeps growing tax-deferred at 8% or so. At your age you need to plan out an income stream that will last 30 years, and if you rely solely on your monthly pension you may find in 10 or 15 years that after inflation the $2K/month you are counting on is not enough. You need to keep some money invested to educe the risk from inflation.

Feb 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Thank-you, that is an option I had not thought of! I think I really only need to worry about the next 6 years as I am 56 now & when I turn 62, I can get my SS which will be about $1,700 a month.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 15, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mscodie
    I was recently laid off from my job of 37 years. I am 56 years old. I don’t want to work, I want to retire. I have a company pension that I can take a lump sum of $500,000, or a monthly of $4,000, or even a partial lump & the rest of a monthly. I also have a 401k with $80,000 in it, & a severance of $36,000. I have $100,000 in debt. I want to cash out my 401k & use it & my severance to pay off the debt. Then with my monthly pension & my husband’s income with all the debt gone I can stay retired, not work & still have about $2,000 a month left to save etc. The problem is that every one I tell this plan to says I am nuts to cash out my 401k. Am I?
    Hello,

First, pay off those debts as you described. Next, that 4k monthly pension (in lieu of a 500k lump) looks appealing if it has a survivorship option and you don't want to make your heirs rich when you die. Last, do not be greedy when investing your retirement dollars. It sounds like you'll have more than enough to be happy with a 5-6% return and you will be able to sleep at night knowing that your investments are secure.
    UK1997 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 12:30 PM
    I thought you had to be 59 1/2 to withdraw it and not incur the 10% penalty?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UK1997
    I thought you had to be 59 1/2 to withdraw it and not incur the 10% penalty?
    No - if you are 55 and "separated from service" you can withdraw from your 401(k) without penalty. This is one case where the rules governing penalties for withdrawals from a 401(k) are less onerous than for an IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spousal Early Retirement & Medicare Disability Ind. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took early retirement at age 56 from a worldwide company. He signed up for his group health insurance to be continued for both of us. I am on Medicare through being disabled for 3 years prior to his retirement. After 1 year 1 month on retirement his Benefits dept. is saying Medicare...

Early retirement [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 13 year former employee of United Parcel Service. I reach the age of 55 in November and I would like to know what the repercussions are for taking out early retirement?

Early retirement from a IRA [ 2 Answers ]

How much taxes do I need to pay on my early retirement plan (IRA) 14,300.00. I live in California.

Early retirement and 401k. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. This is a question regarding early 401k disbursements and retirement. Here's the scenario: I am 49 and fried. I have the option to retire, not formally but on my own. Barring any kind of part time work income after a period of rest, I would be looking at financing my retirement with a...

Early retirement [ 10 Answers ]

I'm planning to retire at age 45, maybe 46. What would be the best way to extract money with least amount of penalty? I've been told annuities or something like that. Also, what would be a maximum annual amount that I could get? Thanks!

View more questions Search