Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom22 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Feb 11, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Crack in ceiling.
    We have a crack in the ceiling where the dinning room transitions to the living room. It looks like it has been taped at least once without success. How would I go about fixing this? It seems to be getting longer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Cracks mean movement so you house has likely settled since the last patch. If you are luck the settling is over or not patch will work. You can buy a crack mending tape that looks like fiberglass drywall tape but its 6" wide and works better for cracks. Its self adnhesive so you clean the crack and apply the tape. Do not use redi-mixed joint compound, buy a bag of 45 minute drywall mud and mix a small amount for your first coat witha 6"knife. Second coat with the same stuff and this time switch to a 10 or 12" knife. Dy in 45 minutes, lightly scrape tany bumps and apoply a finish coat of redi-mix. Sand with a damp sponge.
    mom22 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Feb 13, 2008, 07:01 PM
    You're my hero, bb. Is there anything you don't know?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Yep, how to make enough money to stay retired. Had luck with that guy but he picked a different town so didn't see BB today. Must be getting really old, did not notice it was you mom posting that question. Hope all is going well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crack in brick [ 2 Answers ]

We are getting ready to purchase a 2004 home and it has a small crack ( less than 2mm ) in the brick on the outside of the home underneath the garage. The garage floor has small cracks, really hairline cracks. I have a structural engineer coming out to inspect, what should I be concerned withk?

Is this patio going to crack? [ 5 Answers ]

I just had a concrete patio poured about a month ago and I am concerned they did not do it correctly. They framed in the area with 2x4's (even though part of the patio is as much as 12 inches deep) and shoveled red clay into it to help fill it up. Then they poured concrete on top of the loose dirt....

Crack in corian [ 5 Answers ]

We have corian countertops and now have a crack in the sink which is one continuous flow from countertop. All one piece. The crack goes all the way through and it leaks to the underneath. The crack is about 12 inches long. Does anyone know if this can be repaired or will we have to replace...

How to crack a coconut [ 5 Answers ]

I know this may be a crazy question, but what is the best way to open a coconut to get the juice out without it spilling everywhere? Thanks

Help me before I crack [ 1 Answers ]

OK I know this is not a lot to work with but I heard this song on a classic rock station, you know 70's 80's and 90's anyway the song sort of sounds like a gangster movie its got gun shots, squealin tires, and police sirens but no real lyrics, I believe the dj said it was a song from the band...

View more questions Search