Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ja3Ja3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Doctor and coach say so
    I'm 15 years old, 5'8, and 186 pounds. I went to the doctor to get my physical to join the soccer and volleyball team. My doctor says I'm at least 20-30 pounds overweight. She suggests that I loose it and quick because it's apparently causing damage to my ribcage and lungs. Until I loose it she won't allow me to play. I played these sports my whole life. I was always underweight and until I moved to another school in 6th grade. Since then I've just been packing on the pounds like I don't know what! My coach and doctor says losing wieght is a major part of life. I need to loose it and fast. Say.. in at least 3 months? Any advice?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 05:38 PM
    To lose 10 lbs a month is a really difficult thing to do. With eating right and exercising moderately, you can definitely lose about 5 - 8 lbs a month.

To start easily, try to cut back on the following:

Sodas
    Chips
    Chocolate
    Candy

Replace snacks with fruits and vegetables. Try to avoid fast food if at all possible.

I'm 21. I'm was 5'8" and 180, so I cut back on all junk food (including coffee... which is a downer... especially in college). I replaced my dinner with chicken breast + salad and I eat an apple later at night. I run three times a week (3 miles) and weight lift 3 times a week. After 3 months, I am down to 166.

Add some cardio into your workout 2 - 3 times a week. Walking, jogging, running, jump-roping, swimming, biking, etc. are all good.

Also, add some moderate weight lifting. Muscle burns more calories than fat.

Let us know of your progress, and good luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 06:46 PM
    I would say that your doctor did not say to lose it that fast, most likely he wanted you to start a diet now, but 10 pounds a month can cause more health problems than it solve,

The ways to do it, is to cut down calories, cut out unhealthy food and increase your exercise.

You may want to look at a 6 month goal perhaps to be realistic.
    P3rdv3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    to lose 10 lbs a month is a really difficult thing to do. With eating right and exercising moderately, you can definitely lose about 5 - 8 lbs a month.

to start off easily, try to cut back on the following:

sodas
    chips
    chocolate
    candy

replace snacks with fruits and vegetables. Try to avoid fast food if at all possible.

I'm 21. I'm was 5'8" and 180, so I cut back on all junk food (including coffee...which is a downer...especially in college). I replaced my dinner with chicken breast + salad and I eat an apple later at night. I run three times a week (3 miles) and weight lift 3 times a week. After 3 months, I am down to 166.

Add some cardio into your workout 2 - 3 times a week. Walking, jogging, running, jump-roping, swimming, biking, etc. are all good.

Also, add some moderate weight lifting. Muscle burns more calories than fat.

Let us know of your progress, and good luck
    I do most of that! My team runs five miles a day for 5 days. We go to our schools weight room twice a week. I bench at least 215. I hardly ever eat candy or chips... maybe twice a week or so. I've axtually gained weight by doing this. My doc. Says It might be stress... but Idk?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 07:12 PM
    I'd be looking for a different doctor with an ultimatum such as "if you don't lose weight you can't play..." I certainly wouldn't want to give another dime for that line.

I'm not saying anything about your ideal weight or any health issues you may have, but the more active you are... as in playing sports... the more likely you are to be getting beneficial exercise?? Did the doctor say that playing sports could cause an injury due to your weight?? If not it makes no sense to exclude you from participation...

My coach and doctor says losing wieght is a major part of life. It does not have to be. If standards or ideals are imposed, then it can become a major part of life simply trying to meet those expectations.

Find a comfort zone with yourself, and let those doctors and coaches learn a little bit about how anorexia impacts the lives of many people your age, and how people telling them the ideal weights contributes to that.
    P3rdv3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Actaully she did so that. Apparently because of my weight my ribcage and lungs are being crushed un der the pressure! :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Sorry you are not that heavy, I know 100's of people that are 5 foot and weigh well over 200 lbs. Unless you have some other medical issue your ribs are not being "crushed" but your entire system will be having more work and stress.

Now I am not a doctor, heck not even a medical professional, but something just does not sound right in this.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 09:47 PM
    I absolutely agree with Fr_Chuck. I didn't even look at what the doctor said initially. A doctor who tells you to "lose weight or you can't play" is... probably NOT a doctor.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Get a new doctor. If you are this active and your diet is good then you really need to have your hormone levels checked, there are quiet a few metabolic disorders which can cause weight gain. Never be ashamed to seek a second opinion- look at my tag!
    Moomin Posts: 167, Reputation: 19

Feb 12, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    Get a new doctor. If you are this active and your diet is good then you really need to have your hormone levels checked, there are quiet a few metabolic disorders which can cause weight gain. Never be ashamed to seek a second opinion- look at my tag!
    I thought that straight away too templelane... maybe something to do with the thyroid?

Although again, I'm not a doctor! :) Hope you get sorted!
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 13, 2008, 11:20 AM
    It all starts with a balance diet. Eat right and regularly. Also consider swimming you could always lose allot of weight that way. It will work all mussel groups.
    Have a go at this. Keep in mind you need to set goals for it to work for you and keep to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A girl who gets raped by her coach [ 4 Answers ]

There is a film I saw on TV once it involves a girl who is training to be an athlete runner like her father and she gets raped by her coach and for it he hands over to her a gold chain with a shoe figure on it the film also features an athlete character called kaci king please could you tell me...

Becoming a Life Coach [ 1 Answers ]

Which Masters program is best suited for a life coach-Psychology..

How do I impress my coach? [ 2 Answers ]

On our cheer squad, we have 18 girls. Only 16 were supposed to make it but there was a tie. 2 girls are going to be cut in about a month in a half. We had our 2nd practice today. The coach said that the biggest thing that would determine the cuts is our ability to try hard have a good additude and...

View more questions Search