Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolgurl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Science careers
    Hello
    I am currently doing my Alevls in science subjects.. iam interested in studying genetics or biotecnology,is there any difference between these both,or is it better if go for studying medicine after ma Alevels,studying medicine would tke me to become a doctor which I don't to be,I love to get into the field of research,I want to know if there is more scope of biotechnology then medicine and what should I pursue as my career and also if I study bioinformatics what is it about.which is the better field and what do I need to study just after my Alevls for entering in these carers and which are the best universites for these carers? Plzplplzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me m really confused with this...
    Thanks
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 16, 2008, 06:44 PM
    The best career is the one that's the best fit for you. There is no "better" field - it depends on the person. If you're interested in research in genetics or biotech, either would be great - genetics will be more on the biological side, biotech will combine biology & technology. Usually it means at least a Master's degree (two years beyond your four year university degree), if you want your career options to be maximized. And if you want to do research and want to be more than the lab tech who cleans the equipment, you'll want the Master's degree. :) I'd worry about choosing a university for now, and getting a degree in biology with a concentration in genetics (that will prepare you for doing graduate work in biotech, if you so desire). You don't really have to make up your mind now - you can do that when you're well into your university program. It would be helpful to you, I think, if you could visit a couple of universities and talk to the profs and students there.
    coolgurl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
    M still confused:( can I talk to you in a little detail? Can you help with this plzz

Feb 18, 2008, 03:17 PM
    What are you finding the most confusing?

Feb 19, 2008, 09:08 AM
    OK, here's some information that might be helpful. Biotechnology tends to be more laboratory based; if you like lab work in chemistry and/or biology, it would probably appeal to you. Bioinformatics combines computer science and biology; if you like computer work as well as biology, this field might appeal to you more than biotechnology. As I said before, which is the better career depends on your preferences. If by "better" you mean which pays more, I suspect there are very high paying jobs in both disciplines. Realize that both disciplines cover a lot of territory, so there are a lot of job descriptions in both.

Here's a list
    of schools that offer bioinformatics programs. They're arranged by country (Canada is first). And here's a list of biotechnology programs (note that non-US programs are accessible on the right side of the page).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New careers? [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a hard time making a career choice. The one I have doesn't make enough for me and my children to survive on. I am ready to go back to school or do whatever it takes to get a better job but can't spend my whole life taking classes that I will never benefit from. Please help me make my...

Other careers [ 1 Answers ]

Im currently working at a bank, but Im not a sales person and a lot of my goals deal with sales. I like working at the bank and helping peoples, I just don't like the sales part. What should I do?

Best Careers [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find a new career. Is there a way for me to find the top careers. I don't want the top careers that require a lot of education. I was thinking of going to school for massage therepy or maybe being a manicurist. I know I would enjoy these things. I don't want to put all of my energy...

My careers [ 2 Answers ]

My careers is: Going to america america is a nice place aspecialy going to hollywood if any one reads this you can send me a question:) :cool: ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool:

Best careers? [ 2 Answers ]

?I am in a situation where I am noe a single mother. I am in the education field as a teachers aide and of course the money isn't enough to survive on. I am willing to go back to college but I can't spend years there. What about vocational schools? I also don't want to waste my time taking a bunch...

View more questions Search