Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Is This a Safe Home Remedy for Clogged Drains?
    I came across this recipe on the TipNut website. Is this a safe drain cleaner recipe?

Thank you, in advance, for your answer.

Homemade Drain Cleaner Recipe:
    1 part baking soda
    1 part salt
    1/4 part cream of tartar
    Directions:
    • Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of recipe into the drain and flush with a kettle full of boiling water. Run hot water from the tap for a couple minutes, then turn to cool water and run for another couple minutes. Do this monthly to clear out any fat, grease and nasties buildup that may be beginning to form.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
    It is certainly a safe drain cleaner recipe... not sure why they want cream of tarter?

Some like baking soda and vinegar... some like other concoctions... let me ask... why do you need the drain cleaner?

If this is to clear sink I may have some better ideas then drain cleaner. I mean this will be great to make a drain smell better... but want to clear a drain.. well... you have our attention... :)

And I can tell you with more info. We can probably come up with some better solutions than just simple drain cleanser... not that it won't help... but there are some neat/easy tricks to clear drains that are clogged.

Anyway, get back to us with DETAILS!!

Thank you.
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
    No, that's not going to hurt your plumbing. They are food items.

Feb 11, 2008, 05:03 PM
    I find it so much easier to move the plumbing and go in there and cleaning it out manually with my hands. The plastic modern plumbing makes this very easy. Just loosen the nut and swing the plumbing to one side. And then just swing it back into place and tighten the nut again. Leave the nut loose though. Make sure to have a container underneath to catch the water in the trap.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 05:09 PM
    I use that concoction all the time with vinegar instead of tartar. Just remember to flush the next day with a big bucket of very hot water.
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Right now I do not need a drain cleaner. I seldom do but in that event something gets clogged, it would be nice to know if this is safe. I don't like using chemicals. Since I rent, I cannot call a plumber. Am to call maintenance and it takes at least 48 hrs for them to respond (too busy am told).

Am not sure about the cream of tartar either. Maybe the sewer rats need it to bake a cake. Lol.

Feb 11, 2008, 06:55 PM
    For who ever reads this thread.

Be assured that the modern day plastic plumbing requires no tools. It can be tightened and loosend with the hands.

I don't have to bother with a plumber who is only interested in scams.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Right now I do not need a drain cleaner. I seldom do but in that event something gets clogged, it would be nice to know if this is safe. I don't like using chemicals. Since I rent, I cannot call a plumber. Am to call maintenance and it takes at least 48 hrs for them to respond (too busy am told).

Am not sure about the cream of tartar either. Maybe the sewer rats need it to bake a cake. lol.
    Regarding your original post -- This is more of a maintenance/preventative program than it is a remedy for an already clogged drain.

I follow a similar program timed with the day I pay my phone bill and then follow it up the next day with a kettle of boiling water when I pay my cable bill.

A tad eccentric -- But huffing pipe primers, glues and solvents for a few decades tends to make the brain a bit slow on the uptake.:)
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana2007
    for who ever reads this thread.

Be assured that the modern day plastic plumbing requires no tools. It can be tightened and loosend with the hands.

I don't have to bother with a plumber who is only interested in scams.
    Excuse me?

Feb 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
    iamgrowler

I clean my own plumbing with my hands only no tools.

I recently had to do some repairs under the bathroom sink and the emplyee at the hardware store told me I should be able to remove the existing hose without any tools that it will be lose enough. I went to the hardware store looking for a tool to remove it and that is what I was told at the hardware store. So I went home empty handed.

He was right. I was able to remove the hose without any tools.

The modern plastic stuff is that way.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 07:34 PM
    iamgrowler

I clean my own plumbing with my hands only no tools.

I recently had to do some repairs under the bathroom sink and the emplyee at the hardware store told me I should be able to remove the existing hose without any tools that it will be lose enough. I went to the hardware store looking for a tool to remove it and that is what I was told at the hardware store. So I went home empty handed.

He was right. I was able to remove the hose without any tools.

The modern plastic stuff is that way.
    Fine -- But do bear in mind that you are posting in a forum populated by Plumbers giving free advice based on several decades of experience who may resent the implication that we are "only interested in scams".

IOW, you're about this close (holds forefinger and thumb tightly together) to earning yourself yet another 'Reddie).

Play nice... Or suffer mine and the other experts wrath.

Capiche?

Feb 11, 2008, 08:26 PM
    I can start a brand new thread and ask people what their experience is.

You are free to start one yourself.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 09:07 PM
    I can start a brand new thread and ask people what their experience is.
    Huh?

If I understand you correctly -- Your answer to being remonstrated for dissing the Plumbers who give freely of their years of experience in this thread and on this board is to start yet another thread inviting folks to this Plumbers, right?

>shrugs<

All right -- If you think that's wise, then knock yourself out.

Feb 11, 2008, 09:18 PM
    I don't know how long you have been on the internet giving free advice.

I don't know if you are a real plumber either.

I didn't see you telling this person the information I gave her so she doesn't have to call a plumber.

I also have never read any of your previous posts.

I spend very little time on the internet.
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 06:07 AM
    So if this recipe is more of a preventative measure, should it be done monthly, every other month?
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    So if this recipe is more of a preventative measure, should it be done monthly, every other month?
    I do it every month to clear the traps and drains of hair and grease.

Feb 12, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Dana, you seem to be down on plumbers so I wonder what brought you to this point of view. Who do you think originally designed and installed your plumbing system? Plumbing is more than opening a PVC trap by hand and I think the term modern is a bit out of line.

Shy, any vinegar will do. You just need a mild liquid acid to get the salt and baking soda to react. Cream of Tartar is a crystallized acid.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 08:31 AM
    I don't know how long you have been on the internet giving free advice.
    Hence the 'Profile' feature.

I don't know if you are a real plumber either.
    Hence the 'Profile' feature.

I didn't see you telling this person the information I gave her so she doesn't have to call a plumber.
    The OP wasn't asking if she needed a Plumber.

I also have never read any of your previous posts.
    Laziness on your part is no excuse for rudeness.

I assure you -- I read your last 20 posts (using the 'Profile' feature) before replying to you.

I spend very little time on the internet.
    This much is very obvious.

Might I suggest you familiarize yourself with the niceties of proper 'Netiquette' before venturing any further than you already have?

Feb 12, 2008, 08:53 AM
    I'm not down on plumbers.

So if any of you ever say something about your husband that others don't agree on does that mean you are down on your husband?

So if any of you ever say something about one of your kids that others don't agree with does that means you are down on your kids?

I DON'T GO ON THE INTERNET CHECKING OUT ANYONE CREDENTIALS.

I DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO ANYONE'S CLAIMS ON THE INTERNET ABOUT THEIR CREDENTIALS.

Feb 12, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Back to the actual question from Shy. Shy, if you do this monthly you probably will never have a drain problem again. I do it less often than Growler recommends but he's the plumber, I just do installs and flip houses. Most drain issues involve rotting hair, body oils and skin cells so iguess we have ourselves to blame, that clog is us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a home remedy that can be used to dry up poison ivy quickly? [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any home remedy that my son can use to dry up poison ivy Blisters quickly? It seems to be spreading.

Drains Backed Up In My Mobile Home! [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home and noticed spaghetti in the bathtub. I don't cook in the bathroom so it had to be from the garbage disposal. Not much later the toilet overflowed and when I used the washing machine there was water all over the bathroom floor. When I use the bathroom sink the toilet makes...

Clogged drains in the toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a septic system and it is an older system. There is a problem with it. The toilet and the bathtub meet in a T not the Y that it should be (according to a plumber). I want to by-pass the plumber because I have to get the landlords approval to fix it. He is a cheap person and I wanted this...

Septic tank order control products, or home remedy [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the best place to buy Dioxide septic tank order control products, or any other product or home remedy that will work. Thanks Ron

Home Remedy For Cat Diareha [ 1 Answers ]

Is There Any Remedy For This Situation That You Can Make At Home... she Has Had This Since We Left Her At A Caretakers For 9 Days. Thaks

View more questions Search