Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wenny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Start by working out exactly what you want to do.
    Are you looking to do sales, consulting, some other service ?
    I want to open up a barber shop/spa. What is my first step?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Second, I would recommend score.org and sba.gov as good places to get startup help.
    ifidddle Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2008, 09:28 AM
    A Barber's License is the first step.

Market analysis is the second step. Find a town or an area of a town that is in NEED of a barbershop. I live in a valley of 7800 people and I am the only barber for an hour in any direction. I am buried with work. I am looking for another barber to come in.

Barbershops depend on location as much as anything. Find a spot that has foot traffic during the day. Most men come in because they see the barber pole and remember that they need a haircut.

Get a good quality, comfortable, barber chair. It will last a lifetime, so don't scrimp. Also, buy the best clippers, shears, and straight razors that money will buy. Your work will reflect it in better cuts.

Decorate the shop nicely, nice colors on the walls, wooden flooring if your wallet allows. Wood creates a warm, welcoming feel.

Keep your shop CLEAN. It shows the customer that you are concerned for them, and that you are organized. They shouldn’t be sitting in your chair thinking of the last five customer’s hair on the floor. Throw a hot towel on the guy’s neck while you sweep up his hair. Then give him a nice neck shave with hot lather and a straight edge. When you release him, you have it swept for the next client to come in.

Have a comfortable waiting area with nice, soothing colors on the walls. Use lamps instead of overhead lighting, no fluorescent lights! Track lighting is best. Have interesting books as well as magazines and newspapers. NO TV!

Treat everyone the same. Remember: everyone needs a haircut. Rich, poor, sick, healthy, young, and old. They are all buying your food and making your house payment. Be kind to all of them, and you will be a success. You want each one to not only return, but to tell others of their great experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to go about opening a coffee/pastry shop [ 2 Answers ]

I have been pondering the thought for some time on opening a coffee shop that would serve pastry and sandwiches on a small scale. It would be in the historic area of Virginia City, NV. What is my first step? Thanks Linda

Shop Opening Times (In England) [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I was wondering if someone could explain this to me; 24 Hour Spar stays open 24 Hours (but only sells booze at certain times). 24 Hour Tesco has to close at midnight on Saturday night (into Sunday) and then at 1600 on Sunday afternoon (and also only sells booze at certain times. Now......

Advice for a new Barber - taxes, warnings [ 2 Answers ]

Happy 2007! I'm beginning my retirement career in an old fashioned barber shop. My plan is to work under my barber friend for a couple years and then (possibly) purchase his shop as he will be retiring for age/health reasons. Is there some sage advice for me? I have been a PCB engineer for the past...

View more questions Search