Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awjw13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Radon
    I purchased a short term radon testing kit because I have been reading so much about radon poisoning in the news. I sent my kit in and my results came back that we have an averave radon level of 5.0 pCi/L this is above the recommended amount, but not terribly high. Soes it matter that the test was done in the winter when the heat is on? Is this a threatening level? What is the scoop on acceptable radon levels? Ive read conflicting info.
    Thanks Angie
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 12:47 PM
    The fact that the heat was on doesn't matter. The most important thing was that the windows weren't open during the testing period.

Where did you do the test? It should have been done in the basement. If the reading was 5 in the basement then I wouldn't worry. The recommended level is 4 in the basement and 2 on the first floor.

My old house was tested when we sold it. The reading came in at 20 in the basement. We'd been living there for 13 years but didn't use the basement for anything except storage. We don't glow. :)

If the level was 5 in the basement I wouldn't worry about it.
    quicklearner Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Mar 22, 2008, 11:10 AM
    what you need to do is get a radon detector for EACH floor of the house. Try your local home improvement store, and not one of the big chains (I'm all for suporting the little guy)

radon is the number 1 cause of lung cancer in non smokers in the united states. It is a radioactive gas that rises from the ground that is odorless, colorless and did I mention radioactive!

it can be here this month and gone in a week, so there is no true "I-tested-and-we-don't-have-it" mentality. I've seen it in homes that are brand new, and homes that are 100 years old.

if it is found by your detectors in a HIGH level then there are radon entrapment systems that can be installed in your house. Basically they capture the gas and vent it outside the home. But remember, radon is here today and gone tomorrow (and might be back again next week) so understand the threat!

;^)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radon level [ 3 Answers ]

Which radon level is the highest? A. 0.3 WL B. 3 WL C. 3 pCi/L D. 0.3 pCi/l

Radon and a dap out [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of sealing the slab in my house with a product claiming to greatly reduce radon gas by sealing the concrete. It also reduces mositure. Since I have a bit of both I hope this RadonSeal will work. While tearing up the carpet and preping the floor (scarifing , cleaning...

Radon in apartment [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Columbus Ohio. My landlord is selling the apartment complex I live in. Of course I had to find out from someone else he was selling it. Because he only told a couple tenants because he didn't want the rest of us to move else where. Is that illegal to not inform the tenants that their...

Could radon gas get into furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

We have not checked for radon but it is bad in our area. We have a crawl space in the basement and I'm wondering if radon gas could come from the CS and possibly get into the furnace and cause a crack in the heat exchanger? Any ideas at all as to why a heat exchanger would crack in a 2 year old...

Venting radon [ 3 Answers ]

Can radon just be vented out the roof just like a soil stack vent with out use of a power fan? Any comments are welcome Thanks for your time

View more questions Search