Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    102361 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Journalzing returned items
    Can you explain to me how I would journalize returned merchandise with 3/10 credit terms. Item purchased on credit and has not been paid for yet.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
    First, if it hasn't been paid yet, ignore the credit terms. That means 3% can be taken if the invoice is paid within 10 days, but since it hasn't been paid yet, it's irrelevant.

When there's a return, you sort of are reversing your original entry. The original entry should have been to debit Accounts Receivable and credit Sales. It's no longer owed since it was returned, so you credit Accounts Receivable to reverse that out. But instead of debiting Sales directly to reverse that part out, you probably will be using an account called Sales Returns & Allowances or something similar. While the return does reduce your sales number, most companies are going to want to keep track of their returns and therefore separate it into another account. Sales Returns is a contra revenue account, that is, a negative revenue. Since revenues are credits, this negative account will be a debit account. So you debit the Sales Returns.

That debit will offset the credit balance in the Sales account, which reduces the net sales. This will be done on the income statement later: you'll show gross sales, less any returns and less any cash discounts, to get net sales.

Depending on method, you may have a second entry to do. If you are doing periodic method, ignore this as the second entry isn't made. If you're doing perpetual (likely), then your original entry also included a debit to Cost of Goods Sold and a credit to Merchandise Inventory. For the cost. When it's returned, literally flip that entry over: debit the inventory and credit the COGS. You're trying to "undo" that original entry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journalzing Under Perpetual [ 1 Answers ]

Oct. 30 Received payments on account from members for $4000 Under a perpetual inventory system, how would I journalize this sort of entry? I've tried the following: Oct. 30 Accounts Payable 4000 Accounts Receivable 4000 Is...

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine received a returned check from one of her customers back in Dec. 2005 and has tried to collect the money back from them. It has been over a year and she still hasn't gotten any money from them. The amount was like $85, I think. Can she still try to get the money or is it too late?...

Returned check after 90 days [ 2 Answers ]

I deposited a check from my old employer on 12/8/06. It was cleared and now 70 days later it is showing returned and there taking it back out of my checking. Is this legal? I thought there was a 30 day window for returns. Please Advise!

Deposit Not Being Returned [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We recently started the paperwork for a new house in Sacramento, CA being built by SHEA homes. After the papers were signed, we paid a deposit of $10,000 to the builder. Due to an unforeseen event we had to back out of the deal. The builder is refusing to pay the initial deposit back to...

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State what is the legal procedure to collect on a bad check? I was told you need to send a registered letter to give time to pay on check, and what if the person who gave the check never receives any notice ? What rights do they have?

View more questions Search