Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manchester thani Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 09:44 PM
    About christianity
    Y did jews rae not accepting jesus as their messiah?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Some do, at the time of Christ, all the early christians were jews, in fact for the early church you first had to become a jew to be a christian, until Paul started getting gentiles as Christians.

Today there are jewish Christian groups. ( although the majority did not accept) But then why does not so many people not accept Christ, because they prefer another belief or teaching.
    ZachZ Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Feb 11, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manchester thani
    The answer is: Because Jesus is not the Jewish messiah.

How do Jews know that Jesus is not the Jewish messiah? This is a frequently asked question. It was recently asked and answered here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/judais...ly-179748.html

This thread provides general reasons and links to more detailed answers.

Please note that this is not a question 'about christianity', it is about Judaism, and you should probably ask it on the Judaism board, and not the Christian board, if you would like more detailed answers.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Like Zach has said, this has been asked many a time and often enough.
    You can do a search on Google and come up with some writings:
    Why Don't Jews Believe In Jesus | The difference between Judaism and Christianity

Jewish author David Klinghoffer did this interview for BeliefNet:
    Why Jews Don't Accept Jesus as the Messiah--Interview with David Klinghoffer Judaism Christian Isaiah Christ -- Beliefnet.com

But if you do not want to take some time to read through those articles, you can look at what Rabbi Lerner said when asked "Why Jews Do Not Accept Jesus As The Messiah?"

"In brief:
    1. No Jew accepts Jesus as the Messiah. When someone makes that faith commitment, they become Christian. It is not possible for someone to be both Christian and Jewish.
    2. Jews reject Jesus as the Messiah because he didn't fulfill Jewish expectations of the Messiah.
    3. The Hebrew Bible (called the Old Testament by the non-Jewish world) is not proof for anything in the New Testament regarding a Messiah. "
    You can read his complete article here:
    Why Jews do not believe in Jesus as the Messiah
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by manchester thani
    Many Jews have. A few haven't. Their reasons for not accepting Jesus in view of the overwhelming evidence that proves He is the Messiah is beyond me. You might try asking the Jews on this website.

There are many websites which list the proofs that Jesus is the Messiah. Here is one:

How Jesus fulfilled Old Testament prophecies

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 11, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Rom 11:20-21
    20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
    21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
    (KJV)

The whole Jewish nation got a long way off from their God and suffered much judgment. Because of their persistent disobedience, their eyes were blinded that they could not recognize their Messiah. Jesus even taught in parables so that they could not understand. He explained those parables to His followers, but not to the "Jews". The Jewish remnant will all become believers in Yeshua during the coming Great Tribulation.
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 06:38 PM
    This group would be surprised to hear you can't be both Jews for Jesus - http://www.jewsforjesus.org/

Jewish Christians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contemporary Jewish Christians
    "Jewish Christians" is sometimes used as a contemporary term in respect of persons who are ethnically Jewish but who have become part of a "mainstream" Christian group which is not predominantly based on an appeal to Jewish ethnicity or the Law of Moses. This term is used as a contrast to Messianic Jews, many of whom are ethnic Jews who have converted to a religion in which Christian belief (usually evangelical) is generally grafted onto Jewish ritual which would, to outsiders at least, typically resemble Judaism more than Christianity.

The term could thus be used, for example, of Arnold Fruchtenbaum, the founder of Ariel Ministries. Another group which could be described as Jewish Christians is "Jews for Jesus".

[edit] Modern Jewish Christians and Messianic Jews
    There are important similarities and differences between "Jewish Christians" (or "Hebrew Christians") and "Messianic Jews". Jewish Christians identify themselves primarily as Christians. They are (mostly) members of Protestant and Catholic congregations, (usually) are not so strict about observing Kashrut (Jewish dietary laws) or the Sabbath, and are (generally) assimilated culturally into the Christian mainstream, although they retain a strong sense of their Jewish identity which they, like Messianic Jews, strongly desire to pass on to their children. In Israel, there is a growing population of Orthodox Christians who are of Jewish descent and conduct their worship mostly in Hebrew (the most prominent language in Israel, as well as the official language). Messianic Jews consider their primary identity to be "Jewish" and belief in Jesus to be the logical conclusion of their "Jewishness". They try to structure their worship according to Jewish norms, they circumcise their sons and (mostly) abstain from non-kosher foods, and (often) observe the Sabbath. Many (but by no means all) do not use the label "Christian" to describe themselves. The boundary between the two movements is blurred, but the differences between the two movements are such that it may not be fair to treat them as one (cf. Baptists and Methodists, for example).

Jewish Christians
    ZachZ Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Feb 12, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    This group would be surprised to hear you can't be both Jews for Jesus
    As has already been pointed out, it is not possible to be a Jew and a believer in Jesus as G-d. This is just as fundamental an impossibility as it is for a number to be both even and odd at the same time.

"Jews" for Jesus was started by an ordained Baptist minister named Martin Rosen. Although their strategy is to get Jews to abandon Judaism and embrace Christianity by dressing up their plainly Christian message with Yiddish words and other Jewish references, this organization is simply yet another evangelical Christian proselytizing outfit. Believers in their message are Christians and they refer to themselves as Christians, they attend church and not synagogue, they don't follow the laws of the Torah, etc. Once you look past their name, there's no way that you could confuse these guys for actual Jews.

A person who believes in the divinity of Jesus--or any other human being for that matter--cannot be and is not Jewish. Let me explain it this way: I am a Christian. Yes, a Christian. However, I absolutely deny the divinity or messiahship of Jesus. I believe Jesus was a nice man, a sub-standard Torah student and a sinner like the rest of us, but he was absolutely not G-d. G-d is a unity, and not triune; the Greek testament is a nice if flawed collection of stories written by well-meaning but deluded people; and G-d demands adherence to the Law of His Torah, which will remain binding forever. But I am a Christian! I will answer people's questions on the Christianity board (from my perspective, of course) and sign my posts with "You can trust my answers because I am a true Christian." Doesn't this sound ridiculous and outrageous? Of course it does, and it's just as ridiculous and outrageous as those Christians who call themselves 'completed Jews' or some such. Christians are not Jews and Jews are not Christians.

Jewish Christians
    "Jewish" Christians are simply Christians who used to be Jews.

This term is used as a contrast to Messianic Jews
    "Messianic Jews" are indeed a queer subgroup with no organized or universally-accepted definition. Some MJs believe Jesus to be some sort of messiah but deny any divinity or his membership in a "God-head". (Most Christians would say these MJs are going to Hell just like any other non-believers.) Others are trinitarians who humor some Jewish traditions or behaviors--in reality, they are just Christians too.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Jews for Jesus founder Moishe Rosen was ordained to the ministry 4 years after his conversion. Chosen People Ministries was likewise founded in 1892 by Rabbi Leopold Cohn after his conversion. I know they would take issue with the idea that it's impossible to be both Christian and Jewish.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Several individuals in the first century C.E. claimed to be the Messiah. The Book of Jewish Knowledge comments: “Now the extraordinary thing about these first-century claimants for Messianic distinction was that each served as a rallying point for Jewish revolt against Roman rule. Unlike Jesus, The other 'messiahs' of that period were, without exception, militant firebrands and patriots. So Jesus did not fulfill the nationalistic political expectations of the Jews of his day. However, he did fulfill what the Bible had foretold concerning the first-century coming of the Messiah
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 29, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Like Zach has said, this has been asked many a time and often enough.
    You can do a search on Google and come up with some writings:
    Why Don't Jews Believe In Jesus | The difference between Judaism and Christianity

Jewish author David Klinghoffer did this interview for BeliefNet:
    Why Jews Don't Accept Jesus as the Messiah--Interview with David Klinghoffer Judaism Christian Isaiah Christ -- Beliefnet.com

But if you do not want to take some time to read through those articles, you can look at what Rabbi Lerner said when asked "Why Jews Do Not Accept Jesus As The Messiah?"

"In brief:
    1. No Jew accepts Jesus as the Messiah. When someone makes that faith commitment, they become Christian. It is not possible for someone to be both Christian and Jewish.
    2. Jews reject Jesus as the Messiah because he didn't fulfill Jewish expectations of the Messiah.
    3. The Hebrew Bible (called the Old Testament by the non-Jewish world) is not proof for anything in the New Testament regarding a Messiah. "
    You can read his complete article here:
    Why Jews do not believe in Jesus as the Messiah
    The first Church in Jerusalem was all Jewish, and the church remained so until about Acts ch 10, where Peter first preached to gentiles.

The key thought here is "Jewish expectations". If the scribes had bothered to go back to their own prophet Daniel, they could have taken their own calendar and told TO THE DAY when Messiah would come to Jerusalem. Jesus did that!

John 12:37-41
    37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
    38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? And to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
    39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
    40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
    41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.
    (KJV)

God Himself blinded the eyes of the Jewish nation because of their rebellious spirit. Many Jews did, and do, believe in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, but nationally, that will not happen until during the Great Tribulation.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 03:21 AM
    Belief in anything or not anything is a choice. That is my opinion. It is something that I don't have to prove, but just have to live with as being the choice of a stance that I have made as to whether belief in anything is a choice or not. And, that's okay. I don't even need to "call up the troupes" to support my stance. I can live with it.

I don't see why there is really an argument concerning this.
    adiggs1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 12:53 PM

The Jews did not accept Jesus because they were expecting this rich amzing and beautiful man coming on a great horse. But instead Jesus came on a donkey in an everyday robe with a tanned face from work. They just wouldn't accept him because he didn't seem 'cool' to them
    I Newton Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jun 7, 2010, 12:19 AM

Hi Manchester

Jesus did not do for the Jews what they wanted, so they rejected him; pure and simple.

They wanted to have their traditions to be as accepted as the holy scriptures and this, as it is today, is not acceptable.

As is today, the teachinigs of Jesus are rejected in favour of the traditions and teachings of religious leaders.

The Jews would reject this argument, as religious peole today would also.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 12:48 AM
    It would be interesting to see if manchester thani would return to this thread after having not logged onto this site in over two years. Also, if things would even get going on this thread again, since it's now very old and archived and not generally visible anymore since it's not on the currently active list of threads.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 11:35 AM

Closed, new poster opened 2 year old thread

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About christianity [ 1 Answers ]

Does the holy grail really exists? How far it is true... if yes means what does it specify..

Why Christianity? [ 45 Answers ]

As a counterpoint to Veritas "Why not Christianity?" I'd like to ask all believers why they believe what they believe? That includes Atheists. Why do you believe what you believe?

Why not Christianity? [ 111 Answers ]

Of those who do NOT consider themselves Christians, especially those hostile to Christianity, what is it that you take issue with the most, the teachings of Jesus, or the modern-day followers(disciples) of Jesus? A quote from Mahatma Gandhi came to mind, "I like their Christ, I don't like their...

Christianity [ 19 Answers ]

How has Christianity, a faith based on the teachings of one text (the Bible), divided into so many denominations?

Re. Christianity [ 3 Answers ]

What is the effect of occultism and blood shedding to christianity? What are the manisfestation of these to the family nowaday? And how will you cut this cycle?:)

View more questions Search