Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MariaJan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 06:08 PM
    4 Inches off prebuilt shower base drain
    Hello,

I an so novice. I just bought a $500.00 shower kit. The whole in the base does not fit the drain in my floor. It's a concrete floor. 1st floor. Its off by 5 inches. Does this mean I will need to hire someone to dig up the concrete for 5 inches and redrain. That is going to cost money I don't have. Should I return the shower? :( Please let me know. I don't know if its worth the cost if I have to get a plummer.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Mariajan, you have three options (that I can think of right now):

1) Change pipe layout and use shower kit you have.

2) find another shower that fits your layout, or

3) build a custom shower yourself and some help from friends and contractors.

The first is not cheap, but allows you to keep the shower unit you have and like.

The second is doubtful, but check with your local plumbing supply showroom salesperson... let them know all measurements (depth, width, height requirements, also note, all walls to center of drain measurements... so at least 3 measurements plus the depth, height, width). See what they have available. There are lots of options out there.

The third... well it is what we do here... talk homeowners through projects from washers to whole bathrooms... so you let us know if we can help.

If this helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on button below. Thank you

Feb 10, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Thank you so much. I may need further help. I will consult a plumber tomorrow and see what options are out under my budget. I maybe doing it myself.:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Maria, are you by any chance trying to install a shower where a tub once was placed?

Feb 12, 2008, 04:42 PM
    No, it was a tiled stand up corner shower. They had everything tiled. It is a very small bathroom which will only fit a corner shower. Small. I think it was done by the home owner because for a corner drain normally they are 12 by 12 from the two walls this one is 14 by 15 or 16. The plumber wants 800 do move the drain 4 inches. Yes, its concrete floor but I think that's High, however I guess due to labor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting shower base to existing basement floor drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at installing a shower in our basement. I want to use a store bought shower base and I am not sure if I can use the existing floor drain in the basement. First of all there are 2 floor drains located 5 feet apart from each other in my basement. One is next to the water hearter and I...

Shower base... [ 7 Answers ]

Not sure if this is a pluming question or tiling question, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm still working on my master bathroom project (some of you may remember me from my "moving a toilet" question). Well, everything is roughed in in its new locations and I am starting to...

Move cast iron tub drain a few inches? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a special part to move a cast iron tub drain a few inches such as the 'off -set closet flange' for a toilet? Am still working on the specs for remodeling a teenie bath in a pre-WWll bldg. We plan to rip out thick tile & lath/plaster walls in the tub alcove and replace with 1/2" cement...

Shower base [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a shower base on a concrete slab. Do I need to set the base in thin set or can I just set it on top of the slab and nail it to the wall studs? The shower base has foam underneith it for support.

Shower base [ 1 Answers ]

I need to install a new shower base over a concrete surface, however the surface is not a normal size for a standard shower base nor is the drain located in the center of the floor. How do I re-route the plumbing to reach the drain, do I elevate the shower base using 2 x 4's and cement boards to...

View more questions Search