Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becca2145 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 10:16 PM
    On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ?
    :confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be really hard to do,most likely you can't".Ugh does anyone know the laws and restrictions for leaving state in ny?the reason for the visit is to see if I'd like to go to school there,my probation officer said"it's going to be difficult"should I just talk to the judge about it when I go see him in February?and what if I finish my community serivce before I leave and stay out of trouble?HELP!!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 10:21 PM
    I am not familiar with the laws and restrictions of ny.

But perhaps you could look into getting some soft of promissary note. Like you promise to return within 3 days and will not leave the country.

Although I am thinking now, why are you going to AZ for colleges? If you are on probation for 3 years, would that not mean you are grounded in NY for the next 3 years? In which case, the college info from AZ will be quite different in 3 yrs time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Probation officer
    It is completely up to your probation officer, if he say you can't go, you can't go.

Next what is the purpose of the visit, to find a college to attend??

If he won't let you go for a visit, do you think he will let you go to attend college there ?

Welcome to probation, you had better do what he says, or he will get you picked up and put back in jail for violation of parole, then you have a hearing some weeks latter normally to see if you get to stay on probation or if you go to do the sentence in jail.

Probation is like this, it is a jail term, if you have three years on probation and get it revolked, you will serve the remainder of the 3 years ini jail.
    kap_01 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 06:26 PM

As any one left the state without PO knowing and did you get caught?

Apr 1, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest View Post
    I am not familiar with the laws and restrictions of ny.

But perhaps you could look into getting some soft of promissary note. Like you promise to return within 3 days and will not leave the country.

Although I am thinking now, why are you going to AZ for colleges? If you are on probation for 3 years, would that not mean you are grounded in NY for the next 3 years? In which case, the college info from AZ will be quite different in 3 yrs time.
    Did you go out of state? Did you get caught?

Apr 1, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kap_01 View Post
    did you go out of state? Did you get caught?
    How does probation know if you left the state?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 07:04 AM

Hello kap:

They're not going to know, unless you get stopped there for any reason, or unless they decide to investigate. Then they'll find out.

excon
    acs1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Probation can be transferred to another state from NY. Make sure to go through your officer to request relocation, bring proof of college acceptance, registartion financial aid, everything you can think of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College Credit for Interning Question [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and I graduated from college last year. I want to apply for an internship in Boston, but they won't let me apply unless I can get college credit for the internship. I checked with my alma mater and they would charge $1620 to credit it. I don't have $1620 to pay for it. I tried...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Child custody... Can she leave the state [ 5 Answers ]

I had posted on here a couple of weeks ago about how my wife is talking with an ex and considering leaving me. She hasn't left yet, but its something we fight about everyday. I just have 1 simple question. Lets assume we divorce and she gets custody of our daughter. If she were to move to...

Probation Question [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I was placed on probation in 1999 for 1 year. 3 months in I developed cancer with a tumor in my brain that causes memory loss and other problems. I still saw my P.O. for a few more months, then just forgot almost my entire life for about 7 months... Then moved to another state...

Fair Trial? And Probation question... [ 4 Answers ]

I have a few questions about a misdemeanor criminal case I recently witnessed. If the defendant was given a court appointed attorney, and the defendant requested a jury trial, and requested phone records to be subpoenaed, and received neither... is that grounds for an appeal? Also, if someone...

View more questions Search