Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tutorcgs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Submitting spouse W7, should spouse SSN in 1040 left blank?
    I am submitting W7 form for my wife with my 1040 and 1040 Schedule A (itemized deductions) forms.

What should I put for spouse SSN in 1040 form?
    Should I just write "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED" for spouse SSN?

Also, on second page of 1040 I see I have my SSN on top right corner of the page, but should I need to put something for my spouse?

And, finally, in 1040 Schedule A form, I have my SSN; should I write something for my spouse?

I will really appreciate any help.

Thanks
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Leave your wife's SSN blank. The IRS will fill it in when they issue her an ITIN. Follow the instructions to Form W-7.
    tutorcgs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Thanks! IntlTax

IRS provided the same answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse SSN for Filing Returns [ 1 Answers ]

I was in US from Feb-Jun 2006 on L1 visa. I am married. My wife was staying in India. While filing returns online, spouse SSN is mandatory information. I have following queries: 1. What will be my residency status? 2. How do I file my returns without spouse SSN?

F2 spouse no SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I was on F1 visa in 2006 and got married in June. My wife does not have a SSN. Should I file jointly and if so how do I get an SSN for my wife. Please advise. Thanks

On L1, Spouse and kid on L2 , should I apply for ITIN or SSN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I have few of questions 1. I am on L1 and my spouse and 18 month kid are on L2. Can I apply for their SSN or I should apply for ITIN. 2.In future my wife may work , and then she will applying for EAD and then get a SSN . Is it possible to get a SSN after getting ITIN. 3.We came US on...

ITIN / SSN for Spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Last year my wife joined me in USA (june) and I filed her as a Dependent prior to her arrival. She got her ITIN and I got my refund. She arrived in June and is on a L1 visa and has a SSN. How do I file this year to get the best refund ? Taking into account; 1) Technically from Jan-June she was...

Spouse on H4, no SSN/ITIN [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in USA on a H1B visa for close to six years, I got married in May 2005 and my wife accompanied me to the US for four months. We returned to our native for good in September 2005. I did not file for a ITIN/SSN for my wife during her stay. Can I file a joint return claiming her as...

View more questions Search