Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justaguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 09:37 PM
    Would appreciate some opinions on a relationship.
    First, I'll start by saying I'm not sure how well I could put in to words the entire situation I'm in, since it's hard to describe personalities and things of that nature, but I'll try.

The thing is, I've been dating this girl for nearly 4 months, and things are going wonderful. It's past the whole googly eyed 'You're so perfect' stage and still I can say that we have nearly no problems what-so-ever. It's almost like a Hollywood romance movie where everything just seems to fit, so far. The thing what worries me, is her ex boyfriend. He was her first love and they dated for 2 years, and have been broken up for basically 1 year. They still go to school togather (she's a senior in high school) and up until recently, they've tried to remain friends (more on this later) Now, the part that scares me...

She's told me that some part of her still has feelings for him, but she knows that there's no way she could go back to him and has no intentions what so ever to do so. She's smart enough to realize a relationship between her and her ex will not work, but she can't help feeling that some part of her still loves him. She's also told me that what we have togather is much better than anything she's ever experienced in a relationship, including the one she had with this ex. A few days ago we talked about this again, and she says she feels much better about the situation because she feels that she doesn't have those feelings for him anymore, but I'm thinking that's just what she would like to believe, and may just be trying to convince herself it's true, especially her knowing that's what I would like to hear as well. I also know that she'll be honest with me about all of this.

So, is she just experiencing something that people tend to go through when dealing with a first love, especially one you see almost every day, or is it something I need to be really worried about, even if she doesn't realize what could potentially happen? So far, my advice has been for her to try and eliminate him from her life as much as possible, and I hope that's good advice for her.

What are your thoughts? And, sorry it's so long, I just don't want to leave anything out, which I probably still have. Thanks in advance.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Hi, Justaguy,
    Getting over someone you love is hard; it takes time. Sometimes, it might take a year, if you really did love someone. Even then, they might always be in your thoughts sometimes. It depends on the age, and if older, such as in 20's and 30's, might even take longer.
    Please give her some time, and even at knowing her 4 months, is really not a long time. Hang in there, keep talking honestly, and all you can do is hope it all works out. I do wish you the best.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 20, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Worried about ex?
    Hey guy,It sounds to me like you're a little insecure about this ex!Since she has told you straight up how she feels I think you should take her at her word and don't worry about this ex.Those nagging negative feelings will poison your so fresh relationship with this girl.Unless you have a real reason to doubt her then leave it alone and try to be a little more trusting and positive,she also sounds as if she has moved on from this ex ,so should you.:cool:
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Dude - QUIT worrying about the other guy!! And for the love of god QUIT talking about it with her. You're only showing insecurity and jealosy - two horrible things to show a woman. YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE STANCE WITH HER THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS GUY.

IF she brings him up ever again you tell her - "that's boring and you don't car" - immediately cahnge the subject!! Immediately.

DO NOT BRING THIS UP WITH HER AGAIN. You push her away.

It's insecurity and jealousy.

There nothing good that can come of bringing up old flames. Nothing.

If you don't trust her - and you show jealousy and insecurity to her - she won't respect you. Then there is no relationship.

You keep bring this guy up and talking with her about AND ALL you accomplish is to push her away AND HELP HER KEEP THINKING ABOUT HIM!!

There is NOTHING to accomplish talking about him. You need to thin that she isn't with him for a reason.
    justaguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Thanks for the responses. It's true that I am insecure at times, but I try not to let it show. I wouldn't have worried about it if she didn't tell me that she still had feelings for him. After their break up, they became best friends and they almost got togather a few times, but never did. Since I'm sure that she stays comepletly honest with me, I figure you all are right, I'm just being insecure.

Thanks for the advice everyone.:)
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 11:33 AM
    "I'm sure that she stays comepletly honest with me" - all I can say is becareful there. Woman aren't the sweet, innocent things you wish they were. Have barriers - take it slow - tests.

She brings the guy up to test you to see if you're insecure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need opinions [ 2 Answers ]

My nephew has an outstanding warrant for drug use. He did not appear in court. His dad signed a 5000.00 surety bond and he did not appear. Since the first incident my sisters home has been raided once again. They did not find my nephew there. They did arrest his dad (my brotherinlaw) for stolen...

Just looking for some opinions on a case [ 6 Answers ]

I was charged with trespassing. I entered a school, requesting at the administration to speak with a individual from that school. This was denied, and I was asked to leave. Upon exiting in the corridor area, the student was there, they invited me to speak with them. I spoke with them and a...

Guys Opinions Please [ 15 Answers ]

To all the guys... if you had a girl call you every day for months for business advice (truly) would you be irritated with her? I tried calling once or twice on a friendly basis but his married and I don't want any trouble... just business... (I mean we talk personal after business conversation...

Opinions of the Internet [ 22 Answers ]

I was on the ask me help desk site for teens and I was looking for new posts to help with when I saw the ads on the page they went as such: CUTE BLACK GUYS: Date Sexy Black Singles. Join Tens of Thousands of Black Singles. Cute Young Guy: Meet men with similar for dating & more. Go search...

Your Opinions Wanted [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, A person asked this question at another question/answer websie: Sometimes my toshiba laptop slows down at any program I'm using. I go into Task Mangager and then under the Processes tab it shows 100% usage at the bottom of it so I have to reboot the PC to run normal. Why does it do this? ...

View more questions Search