Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GJC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Heat Pump Outdoor unit makes a 'clicking' noise, what cloud be the cause?
    I have a Carrier Heat Pump system. I estimate it is 15+ years old. I had it serviced this past summer. (Reversing valve replaced & recharged). The unit has run well since. It now make a 'clicking' sound when the out-door unit is running. There is no mechanical interference that fan blades could be hitting. It also iced up severely. I ran the unit in the AC mode to defrost the coils and the clicking remained. What should I look for?
    eagark Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
    This one may need looking at by a pro, but you may have a bad low voltage connection going to the contactor. The reversing valve will also make a distinct click, and the defrost cycle will usually click on and off, so it may be any of those. A clicking sound is normal if any of those things are occurring at that time and are supposed to be occurring. The loose connection could be a loose wire nut, or even a bad contactor. Look at the low voltage wires first. I would also check the wires at the thermostat for tightness

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engine makes clicking noise [ 1 Answers ]

On my b & s 11hp engine I hear a clicking noise when it is running I know it isn't the pulley or anything but it is coming from inside the engine/ anyone know why? How to fix it? Thanks

11 HP Briggs makes a clicking noise when started [ 1 Answers ]

11 HP Briggs& Stratton riding mower makes a clicking noise when started. I don't know if this is normal or what. Its model # 252707. Anything I can do to fix this? Is it bad?

Heat Pump Clicking Noise [ 8 Answers ]

Recently, my heat pump has started to make a clicking noise when it is turned off. The clicking is about one second apart and is continuous. I thought that it was one time occurrence, but when I checked after a day's time, it was still clicking. The thermostat is switched completely off. ...

Lennox heat pump makes noise, slow condenser fan [ 1 Answers ]

Lennox, 20r-48 heat pump ac, roof mount in Phoenix, AZ outside temp 30-65 deg f. My heat pump makes a howl noise from the condenser fan and the fan speed is slow. Condenser coils frost outside but I haven't looked at the coils this time of the year in the past due to no need, (good performance and...

Sony Triniton makes a loud clicking noise when starting up. [ 1 Answers ]

Sony Triniton makes a loud clicking noise when starting up. It's a brand new TV. The noise it makes vibrates the TV trolley and is too loud. It happens even if it is on standby for 10 minutes. Please advise Thanks Amit Jain

View more questions Search