Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thorn261 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Car running great then dies in traffic after being serv.
    Took my 2002 Nissan Altima to the dealer for brakes and front end alignment, he called saying the belts need to be changed and the throttle valve was dirty and needed to be cleaned($129) . I have a Ford Explorer that is 13 years old--never heard of cleaning a throttle valve or on any other car that I have owned. Told him to change the belts. On the way home from the dealer the car dies in traffic. Had to be towed(car would not come out of park) back to the dealer.
    Two questions:
    Will having the car pulled onto the tow truck while it was in park do any damage to the car or the services I already paid for.
    Is it normal for the throttle valve to get dirty and need to be cleaned at 80,000 miles. I always use a medium grade gas.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn261
    Took my 2002 Nissan Altima to the dealer for brakes and front end alignment, he called saying the belts need to be changed and the throttle valve was dirty and needed to be cleaned($129) . I have a Ford Explorer that is 13 years old--never heard of cleaning a throttle valve or on any other car that I have owned. Told him to change the belts. On the way home from the dealer the car dies in traffic. Had to be towed(car would not come out of park) back to the dealer.
    Two questions:
    Will having the car pulled onto the tow truck while it was in park do any damage to the car or the services I already paid for.
    Is it normal for the throttle valve to get dirty and need to be cleaned at 80,000 miles. I always use a medium grade gas.
    So you only authorized the belt replacement and not the throttle cleaning?

On many vehicles, the throttle body can become dirty and contaminated. This can cause the throttle plate to bind and not fully closed, resulting in various drivability problems, including but not limited to incorrect idle speed and/or throttle binding, possibly turning on the check engine light. The brand or octane fuel you use is irrelevant.

And I don't understand why the car could not shift from park? Even with the engine off, with the key in the run position and your foot on the brake, you should be able to move the shifter. On your car, there is an access on the shift console that will allow you to move the shifter. The shift lock button (a small cover needs removed to access) will release the park pawl and then you can move the shift lever.

Name:  1a.gif
Views: 1062
Size:  14.1 KB

The tow operator should already know this.
    thorn261 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Yes I only authorized the belt replacement... the tow driver got in the car and attempted to put it in neutral himself. Thanks for the information on how to get it into neutral. This was the first time I have ever had any problems that would left me stranded on the side of them road. This was a AAA tower? Is there anything that I need to be looking for when I get the car back since it was pulled onto the tow truck in park? I had a Acura Integra that was hit while in park and would have to be driven(would not work just warming it up) that would not shift(automatic) out of second for 15-20 minutes. Thanks for the informations
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 08:16 PM
    I don't understand the stalling, so without further info, I can only speculate on that. Other than perhaps low/no fuel or primary ignition problems, I need to know more.
    It appears to be only coincidental to the service visit. Let us know what the dealer finds. But, with any repairs, don't hesitate to ask to be shown on the vehicle what they are talking about.

If your car was only towed onto the tow truck, I don't think much could have happened to the transmission.
    Make certain you mention this to your AAA customer service reps. If, and I say, "IF" anything happened, they could be held accountable should any damage have been done. They are supposed to be experienced with towing all makes and models.

About your Acura, the forces generated on the drivetrain is significantly greater during a "hit-in-park" incident. Cross your fingers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car dies while driving [ 20 Answers ]

I have no clue what is wrong with my car. I will be driving and it will just shut off. Everything except the radio and lights will stay on. I can restart the car. Yesterday I had to get a new battery because it would not start at all so I thought that might have been the problem, but last...

Cold Snowblower great, cold dies [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old Tech engine snowblower and it starts great and everything , but recently it has started acting-up it lacks power and dies when warmed-up please help:confused:

1993 HB civic d15 dies when running [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda HB with a d15 it runs, run and runs then after awhile it goes all crazys then shuts of when I jump start it, it turns on and runs for a little then shuts off what can it be?

Light on, car dies? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem I have an 89 cavalier the engine runs great until I turn the lights on or put it in gear or step on the break the car dies like I had a kill switch on it but it does not have an alarm installed. I think a wire is grounding out on something I changed the head gasket recently and...

View more questions Search