Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricia2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Adding 2 story -do toilets have to be directly above?
    I'm trying to do a layout of adding an upstairs addition. Do the toilets upstairs need to be directly above the ones below on the ground level or can they be within the general vicinity?
    Thanks for the help.
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Feb 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Any plumber will tell you that the shorter runs of pipe that have to be run the better your system will work. It is better to keep the bath rooms in a general vicinity.

I wish you all the best,

Van
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2008, 03:13 PM
    It sounds like you're planing on using the existing vent stack to drain your new bathroom group. You may tee into the vertical vent stack for the branch and run that branch any where that you have slope enough to reach. However you will have to configure the upstairs group like this. Toilet connects to the vent stack. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent off the top the stubout tee out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic.. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent and the tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes and also The Standard Plumbing Code Book in 90 percent of the country. Check your local codes.to make sure you're not in the excluded 10 percent.. The vent off the lavatory may be run out the roof or revented back into a dry vent in the attic or if you're reventing back into a fixtures dry vent you must make your connection at least 6 inches over that fixtures. But wait! You have more problems! By discharging into the existing vent stack you have turned it into a stack vent thus moving the vent stack above the new group. If you decide to go that way you will have to run new vents on the downstairs bath group because you can not discharge vented fixtures past unvented ones.
    Either way you decide to configure the new group you will have to run new vents on the downstairs group. A way out may be AAV's (Air Admittance Valves) in local code allows. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding insulation to existing 2nd story room [ 3 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hope someone can help! A second story room is MUCH colder in winter and MUCH warmer in summer - was finished out after we bought the home... have had the duct worked checked out and is OK and the attic insulation is acceptable I am thinking that...

Printing directly to disc [ 3 Answers ]

I recently " inherited an R300 printer --- printing text /photos is OK my problem is I cannot work out how to print directly onto a disc i.e.. A downloaded film cd cover-when I open the downloaded cd cover and press print I get the message via the status monitor --CD/DVD guide is open Remove...

2 story house dwn stairs toilets don't flush solids [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house with 3 bathrooms built in 76... 2 days ago the 2 toilets downstairs started to act up and won't complete flush cycle 7 out of 10 times... solids remain... I have a 50' auger and have snaked the line from access outside kitchen wall and also from back center of house. Nothing...

VCR hookup directly into TV [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any VCR/DVD combo units that can be directly hooked into the TV for recording purposes? That don't have to run through an external box - such as cable or Dish?

View more questions Search