Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahsu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Linksy's wireless router issue
    I can't seem to set a secure wireless network. Does anyone know a step by step way to do this.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I have a Linksys router -- I am trying to learn more about it

Linksys.com – Support/Technical Support

Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/EasyLink Home Networking Tools

Linksys NetCheck

The last link has a Net Check -- download that checks out your router
    gilton Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    I have a Linksys router -- I am trying to learn more about it

Linksys.com – Support/Technical Support

Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/EasyLink Home Networking Tools

Linksys NetCheck

The last link has a Net Check -- download that checks out your router
    Tell me which model you have?
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Apr 24, 2008, 08:31 PM
    If you want to do the wireless security , you go to the wireless tag and you can filter by MAC address or password.

Can you manage to find the Wireless Tag ?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
    The User's Guide for your particular router model can be found on Linksys.com and contains detailed instructions for wireless configuration.

The general process for any wireless setup is as follows:
    1. Configure for infrastructure mode vs. ad hoc.
    2. Select B, G, B+G, or possibly A mode.
    3. Enter a unique SSID - this effectively names your wireless lan.
    4. Select a wireless channel - Usually 1, 6, or 11 is selected as the channels do not overlap allowing you to not interfere with your neighbors or have 3 networks in the same physical area.

The following items may be presented as bundled options instead of individual...
    5. Select an authentication type.
    6. Select a security suite - WPA is preferable to WEP as WEP is not secure. "Enterprise" labeled options require a RADIUS server that a business would have. "Personal" labeled options are for home use/no RADIUS server. All wireless devices you intend to use must support the suite.
    7. Select an encryption algorithm - AES is preferable to TKIP.
    8. Enter key of your choosing of largest number of bits supported by all wireless devices or passphrase for the security and encryption selected.

Optional:
    9. Enter MAC addresses of all wireless devices into MAC address filter - the router will only accept connections from devices having these MAC addresses. Use command prompt command "ipconfig /all" in Windows to get MAC physical address or look for a sticker on the device.

Device Setup:
    10. Using the settings from #5-#8, configure the same settings in all wireless devices. Not all devices will support all the same security options, therefore you will have to determine beforehand what options are common to all devices that yield the most secure security suite.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Wireless router [ 10 Answers ]

How hard is it to add a password to my wireless router? I have a blue coloured router with two antenna and it is made by dlink.

Wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to installing a Netgear WRG614 wireless router if I'm already using Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem?

Wireless router [ 12 Answers ]

I'm having difficulty installing my wireless router Linksys WRT150 N. I can't get beyond the password screen even though it is already encrypted on the screen. Customer help couldn't help me and neither would comcast since it's not their product.

Windows XP Pro SP2 Wireless Networking Issue - Refuses to Connect to Router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a home network of 3 computers which share the same broadband connection. I moved house a few months ago and until then I was able to run the internet connection into the wireless router, unfortunately my new ISP (Spanish ISP, Telefonica) refuses connection with everything except their...

View more questions Search