Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CScotty1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Want to leave mortgage/house and move os
    Hi - I have a house in the uk valued at 200,000 (as at Dec. '07) and secured and unsecured loan of 190,000 with our mortgage company - many potential buyers who have 'disappeared' at the final hurdle.

My wife and I are separated - I live in Spain with 2 of our kids and she's in the uk with the other 3!! We are not in arrears and have never missed payments etc. but the burden of selling (9 months now) is too much for her - and only earning euros it will be quite soon that I won't be able to meet my half of the mortgage - and we didn't want to go down the repossession/bankruptcy route.

Question - if we just walk away from the house can the mortgage company pursue us for any shortfall in the sale, etc? Where do we stands re legal implications of just 'leaving' the house and walking away?

Any suggestions welcome - thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 03:23 PM
    You need to talk to your mortgage company, walking away will be a foreclosure, after some time. Also remember after you stop paying there will be late fees, and legal fees added, it will not take long for that 190,000 loan to end up 200,00 or more.

You need to work with the reality company to be more aggressive, does the home need some work, can you afford to sell short and get a loan for a balance and so on.
    CScotty1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 12:34 AM
    Thanks - that's a start - can't afford shortfall though, and what little work needs doing has little to do with sale potential - it has been marketed quite aggressively and for a 5 bed house under 200,000 it is already listed at least 10,000 below market - which has obviously slowed down considerably over Dec Jan etc - starting to pick up again but, by the time any sale goes through we will also be another 3,500 out of pocket anyway - 3 to 4 months is going to cost nearly 10,000 with legals and agents fees anyway - the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 18 and my parents won't let me leave my house [ 9 Answers ]

My parents won't let me leave my house I've been 18 for 2 months and I'm ready to leave. Their being unfair about things. I left last night and they got the school involved in it so I might be kicked out of school tomorrow.

Getting someone to leave your house [ 5 Answers ]

In the beginning I rented the second room in my 2/2 apartment to someone I was involved with several years ago. He has always dwelled in his own room and their is no romantic issues. We did not sign/write a lease. I knew it would be in my best interest but this is someone I trusted and thought...

Mortgage on a House outside the US [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the US on an L1 Visa. I own a house in Israel with a Mortgate on it. The house is rented and I do not live in it. I don't own any more house. Can I deduct the Mortgate interest on this house? Thank You

2nd mortgage and maternity leave [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I filled out an application to borrow from the equity in my house. I wasn't approved at first, but then they did something they called a "reserve" plan, at which my interest rate was higher and then approved me. I am currently on maternity leave, but I go back on December 7th. My...

Getting out of mortgage to move [ 2 Answers ]

My name is john wilt sr, my family and I want to move out of state June 2007 but we still owe on a mortgage trying to find answer to this how do I move and not owe nothing,

View more questions Search