Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomc941 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Sudden loss of hot water pressure
    We have a new home (1.5 years) with gas WH. When awoke this AM no hot water pressure from any tap on main floor or lower level (cold was fine). Opened and closed most of the taps in the house on both levels but just a dribble or nothing. Then suddenly a loud "clunk" and now pressure is fine. Assume the noise was water hammer as I had relieved pressure by turning on and off the taps.
    This is quite a mystery as I wouldn't think we would have had deposits clogging the line in only 1.5 years of use. But I'm at a loss as to what else it might have been.
    By the way, the temp here in the Twin Cities dropped to 15 below last night, but that has happened earler this winter and last.
    If you think it may have been deposits, is there something I can do to flush them out to avoid future clogging?

Any thoughts?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 04:13 PM
    More a frozen pipe some where.

Feb 10, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    More a frozen pipe some where.
    I thought of this possibility, but how to explain many other sub-zero nights since moved in and no problems. You obviously think this more likely than deposits being as the home is this new?

Feb 10, 2008, 05:42 PM
    I found the outside combustion air flex tube outlet into the room (for the furnace) terminated at just 2 inches from the hot water line from the WH. Last nites outside temp was 15 below zero. I suspect this cold air at least caused slush in the line which then fairly easily broke free with just turning on various taps. Seems like my plumbing sub-contractor should have known this. Thanks for your suggestion hkstroud.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Mighrt want to put a heat tape on that line if you are going to have much ot that kind of Artic weather.

Feb 10, 2008, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Mighrt want to put a heat tape on that line if you are going to have much ot that kind of Artic weather.
    Thanks, I just moved the flex tube so air flows into an area where there are no pipes. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house [ 13 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house (all showers, washing machine, sinks, etc.) Nothing has been touched or replaced. We have a well and our 50 gallon hot water heater is new - installed Sept. 2003. I have been reading this could be 'air pressure' related but...

Sudden loss of water pressure - have well [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well - just moved "to the country". This morning, water pressure was VERY low throughout the house, including filtered refrigerator water, sinks, showers, etc. then eventually NO WATER comes out. Where do I begin trying to figure out the problem? What type of professional should I...

Sudden loss of hot & cold water pressure in one faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Recently the pressure in both the hot and cold faucets on one bathroom sink dropped to almost nothing. We replaced the very old faucet with a new one but it did no good. We still have just the tiniest trickle out of both hot and cold. The tub and toilet in the same room are not affected. The...

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house. ...

Sudden hot water pressure loss, seeking advice! [ 1 Answers ]

Our shower recently began to act weird.  One day we had to turn the single control knob much hotter to get the same temp that we did before.  Now, about a month after that, we have to turn the knob even further, and we have lost a lot of our hot water pressure.  The rest of the house seems to have...

View more questions Search