Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenaj Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Newbie asking What did I do Wrong?
    :( Hi newbie here. Somebody tell me what I have done wrong.

I just purchased Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and it comes with Office 2003. I don't want to use Office 2003 because it doesn't have Front Page. I uninstalled Office 2003 and tried to install MO97 Standard and I got the error message:

htmlmarg.ocx was unable to register itself in the registry system. I went to regedit and clicked on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then I click on software and then clicked on Microsoft and then clicked on windows NT and then clicked on Currentversion file execution options:

and instead of seeing htmlmarg.ocx and htmlmm.ocx to change them, I got
    (AB) red and white icon and (Default) REG_SZ value not set.

Can somebody tell me what I did wrong.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2006, 06:34 AM
    At this point in time you cannot purchase XP Media Center Edition separately. It only comes preinstalled on a Media Center PC. So did you purchase a Media center PC or what?

Second, Windows does not come with Office in any version. However, many PC manufacturers include a trial version of Office has a bundle. Also Office Standard doesn't come with FP in any version.

So where did you get what you say you installed?

Jan 20, 2006, 10:06 AM
    I bought it years ago when I was running 98. Since then I've had Windows Me which came with MO2000 including Front Page. That's what I upgraded from but I couldn't find the CDs only the 97. I just bought a new computer Windows XP Media Center Edition and I didn't want the trial version of MO2003.

I did work around and installed MO97. Thanks for your help ScottGem. God Bless.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Glad you got it going.

Jan 20, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Thanks U ScottGem!
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 20, 2006, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    At this point in time you cannot purchase XP Media Center Edition separately. It only comes preinstalled on a Media Center PC. So did you purchase a Media center PC or what?

Second, Windows does not come with Office in any version. However, many PC manufacturers include a trial version of Office has a bundle. Also Office Standard doesn't come with FP in any version.

So where did you get what you say you installed?
    Even though I have an original Office 2000, I had to purchase a new PC, and it did include the below apps which was nice.

The following, I received upon purchase of a new PC (pre-installed), but could make a single backup CD, and also separate ISOs for each application for backup - which does work on other PCs. This is MSO 2003: with SP2

Word
    Excel
    Powerpoint - with downloadable Powerpoint Viewer
    MS Project
    Access
    InfoPath
    OneNote
    Publisher
    Front Page
    ** have to admit that I don't use half of it *** I'm an old dBase fan and will always go back to it instead of Access.

The PC also came with
    Office Tools
    Office Digital Plus - Media Edition

I think it's also possible to create ISOs for these as well, but have not tried yet.

Maybe I got lucky when I bought an HP Presario PC - but the hardware leaves a lot to think twice about. So, we do know that Dell and HP do include these in their packages depending upon how much one wants to spend - and the vendor (and old patient and friend of mine) registered my PC for a 'company' (so maybe that made a difference too).

Jan 20, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Same here Chery. I still have my PC with Windows Me which came with MO2000.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 20, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaj
    Same here Chery. I still have my PC with Windows Me which came with MO2000.
    I still use it on a few other PCs because it gives less problems and errors as 2003. I use 2003 when sending stuff for my patients to the hospital for their records, as the hospital has 2003 and it's easier that way. It also 'looks' nice when using windows XP, but otherwise, office is office.

I do plan on learning how to use all the features and apps, but making things for kids, and now my upcoming grandchild are my first priority after my patients every day. Between patients during the day and my hobbies and this forum at night, I'm quite happy since I can't sleep much. Plan on enjoying my birthday this weekend with my daughter and doing absolutely nothing - I hope I can handle it.

Have a good one!

Jan 20, 2006, 06:47 PM
    Chery, I hope you have a nice and relaxing weekend with your daughter. Sounds like you deserve to do absolutely nothing.

tenaj
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 20, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaj
    Chery, I hope you have a nice and relaxing weekend with your daughter. Sounds like you deserve to do absolutely nothing.

tenaj
    Thanks, I'll try. You have a great weekend too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search